Gelcoat for my truck?

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been hanging around the restoration forum and I'm finding I really like working with fiberglass and gelcoat. My pickup is one of the old Fords with the rusty wheel arches and bad paint.

Is there any reason why I can't sand down the rust to bare metal and repair the holes with 1708 and poly resin? Once the holes are gone, I'd like to power wash all the spray paint the previous owner put on there, clean it up with acetone and gelcoat the whole truck!

Is this a bad idea?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you do realize that paint would be much much cheaper than gel for your truck, right?

by the time you spent the time to properly prep the truck to accept either gel or paint, you have exceeded the value of the truck. unless the truck has serious sentimental value, then simply buy a rust free bed (about $500) and new fenders from Browns (http://www.cooltruckparts.com/ - about $120 each last time I stopped in at Browns)

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It's a 1983 and I haven't been able to find a rust free bed (that I can afford) for it yet. I feel like the amount I've been spending on Gelcoat for my boat has not been exorbitant and I could afford it on the truck. I really like how hard and durable the Gelcoat is.

I looked at that site you listed and I didn't see any beds for an F150 older than 1997.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Biggest problem you will run into is overcoat in this type of application is going crack a lot, it is amazing how much a vehicle flexes.

It would be better to get patch panels for the fender lips and repair correctly.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It's a 1983 and I haven't been able to find a rust free bed (that I can afford) for it yet. I feel like the amount I've been spending on Gelcoat for my boat has not been exorbitant and I could afford it on the truck. I really like how hard and durable the Gelcoat is.

I looked at that site you listed and I didn't see any beds for an F150 older than 1997.

call them, talk to Greg, tell him I sent you. 90% of what they have isnt on their site. you can get fenders and panels going back to 1930's. My grandfather went to school with Ray Brown.

regarding a bed, I go used. look on www.car-part.com and get one out of texas or other southern non-ocean side locations. my last pickup restore was a 1985 Chev. I picked up a bed, delivered to my house for $500