yukon auto transmission rebuild kit

my friend has a Yukon 5.7 1994 with a auto transmission that has a sticker saying 4CHD. Now the transmission slips in 3rd and 4th but drives fine in R-1-2. Oil is clean and doesn't smell badly burnt so we want to rebuild. Now I must admit that we have never rebuilt a auto (did a few manuals) so this is a learning curve and if it works then its all good and if not then oh well it was broken before we started.
Today we dropped the transmission, now I need a kit because other web sites say that loss of 3-4 is a bad clutch pack. As its a learning curve we want a cheap kit and I was thinking about http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L60E-Trans...ies&vxp=mtr&hash=item27adb8fa3b#ht_1300wt_923 but before I order anything I would like to know that its the correct kit for the truck as it gets confusing between a kits and upgrade options like different clutch packs etc. There are cheaper kits that do not have the filter and band. I have the filter already as he was going to change filter and oil to try that as a fix. Any suggestion on where to get the parts and what kind of kit I should be looking at.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That looks like a pretty complete kit.
Also get an atsg manual. You wont be able to do it without it.
Get yourself a large are clean and clutter free. Start early, because you will be there awhile.
Lay everything out the way it comes apart.
Its good to have a couple of helpers, because it can be confusing.
Get some transgel, do not use grease.
You will need to size the teflon turbine shaft seals. I think there are videos on youtube to help with this.
Flush the cooler lines.
When you get it back in, you will have to run it through the gears numerous times the fill all the pistons with oil so dont get nervous.
Unless the bushings are wore out I wouldnt replace them. They can be very difficult.
I would get a transgo shift reprogrammer kit.
After I have done a few I kinda enjoy it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Take lots of pics upon dissasembly! Even with " helpers "! Things can get messes up rather quickly.

my biggest worry is with the kit. It looks like a pile of parts rather than a nice cheat sheet with all the O-rings labeled so you know where every one goes. I have a gm manual (not the one suggested) on a pdf file which lists the rings and where they are installed but the kit looks like all the parts are counted then thrown in a box.

fishrdan

Admiral
Agree with the others, get the ATSG rebuild manual and take LOTS of pictures during disassembly.

I wouldn't be terribly concerned with the "big pile-o-parts" rebuild kit as everything has a place and you'll figure it out as you go.

I rebuild automatics one section at a time, remove an assembly, disassemble it, clean it, rebuild it, bag it, set it aside and go onto the next assembly, All bolts for an assembly get cleaned, bagged and placed along with it's assembly. All old O-rings and old parts get bagged and placed with their rebuilt assemble so I don't have a bunch of old parts laying around.

Pay close attention to the clutch pack clearances as it's possible that you may need additional (thicker-thinner) steels to get the proper clutch pack clearance. I've re-used a single old steel that was in good condition, to get proper clutch pack clearance. Also bought thicker-thinner steels at tranny rebuilders or tranny parts houses when needed.

Keep the work area clean and don't work when it's blowing and dusty.

I would replace the converter too...