Non jack AC thread

foodfisher

Captain
My '03 ram 5.7 hemi AC started failing at idle, Ok faster. Then at surface street speeds, Ok on freeway. now not at all. Refridgerant leak? Interweb kept telling me condenser fan, I don't have one.

check the gas charge (most refill gauges have a gauge) if its low add more gas. Check the compressor fan is kicking in when idling, you should be able to hear it and see the rpms change for a second before the engine adjusts to it (if check engine light is on it may disable the a/c at low rpm, also low gas cut off switch may disable the a/c) check the heater isn't jammed on at the same time (heater hoses going to fire wall should be warm and not hot) check the radiator in front of the main radiator to make sure its not dirty (only seen this on 4x4 that go mudding) if everything seems good then I suggest a gentle wack with a 2x4 it might not fix the compressor but it will make you fell better (its a old trick to see if the valve inside has got stuck but its technically not the correct way to fix it)

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you are low on freon, system is going out on low pressure switch.........and you should have a condenser fan, when looking at your engine the condenser coil is to the right of the radiator and should have it's own fan.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What does "Non jack AC thread" mean? And yes, it sounds like you are low on 134a, if you stop by a shop, they can put a gauge on it and let you know if you are.

foodfisher

Captain
Don't know what caused me to overlook the condenser and fan, anyway it's there. Thx midcarolina. While testing, the compressor kicked in and out but the fan never came on. Fuses are intact. After shutting down, I heard a hiss and tracked it down to a black cap on the left side. It's part of a tube running from the condenser. Looked under the cap and saw bubbling at the valve stem. Think the solution is near. Thanks to all. MTboatguy- thought about becoming part of ezbtr's thread but didn't hijack it.