Over torqueing a oil plug?

robert graham

Admiral
I have a buddy who is responsible for all fasteners torque settings at the BMW plant here....every nut, bolt, screw and fastener on every vehicle....so consistency is important for them....but for my applications, just don't see it....and I've never wrung off any bolts or had any come loose....neither did my dad or his father....

so whats the torque setting for a spark plug and do they still sell the crush washers so you can check them for color.

I think the big difference is if im being paid to do the job. On my truck im not paying me so tight is about that much with a ratchet. At work last week a bolt called for 850ft/lbs I went and signed out the tool 30mins, spent a good 20 mins setting it up. torqued the bolts 10 mins then spent 10 mins packing and cleaning the ratchet. then signed the tool back in 20mins.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
farm snug

Yep smallest crescent wrench that opens that big , for us arm strong with genetic enhanced popeye forearms , torq ,dry, lubed,crush washers ,O-rings ,copper washers ,phenolic washers ,taper but any ribbing I get for using the improper 6" channel locks I send them of off cranes to get correct tools some times . .I guess Its been awhile since I've stripped , anything so I'm not overly concerned.

Last edited: