Lasik

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lasik. Good? Bad? Experiences with it?

Thanks.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
It all depends on what is wrong with your eyes, your age, and your needs.

I know a couple dozen people that have had it done.
1 had to have it re-done.
1 has developed a new vision problem unrelated to the lasik, and is back wearing glasses.
Everyone else says they are happy, or don't say anything about it.

I have been considering the laser my self, and have been asking people I know.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Did it over 6 years ago, Best thing I have ever done.

Don't do it if you have dry eyes.
My eyes have not changed so my rx has stayed constant for years. If it wasn't that way, I probably would have not done it.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
7 yrs ago I had it. Never had noticeable dry eyes before, but have dry eyes now. One thing they won't tell you is your vision may be 20/20, but it just won't seem as crisp. Also, don't get it if your night vision is anything short of perfect. I had bad night vision before and it only gets worse. I know I'm exception, but I had haze from mine that took almost 2 yrs to clear up. I caught a lot of glare from Sun and had severe irritation that took 3 yrs and switching doctors to clear up. Immediately after the starbursts at night were so bad I could hardly see. I'm getting along fine now, irritation hardly ever comes, tinted windows help with night driving and a humidifier in the winter keeps my eyes comfortable. Whatever choice you make, good luck. I've met the whole range of experiences with LASIK. Most people won't share an unfiltered story unless you have had it with them, may be a pride thing, I don't know.

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had it done back in early 2000's. I was blind w/o the glasses. Coke bottle bottoms for lenses. Best thing I ever did. I got rid of the coke bottle glasses and the insert for my diving mask. I could see great. No more sweaty foggy glasses. No more falling asleep and waking up w/ them bent,smashed or lost. Do it again if I could. I am 51 now.
As you reach those years when your eyes get that Presbyopia (arms not long enough to read) and may find yourself back in reading glasses keep that in mind.

NYBo

Admiral
May 28, 1998. Because of the degree of correction I needed (myopia, 16 diopters), I had to go to Canada for the procedure. It was truly a life-changing event. I have had dry eyes ever since though. My arms have also become too short so I use drugstore reading glasses.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
I had it done in 2002. It's been great but it is 60 seconds of pure torture (or at least it was for me). I unknowingly had it done in a manner in which they cut your eye open with a razor, then used a laser for the actual correction.

Mine didn't work perfect initially in one eye so I had to have it redone and undergo the razor again. Glad it's over and I have perfect vision now.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
At 54 and not seeing good driving or reading I do the mono-vision thing with one contact for distance. I've yet to find a solution that gives me crisp images on both ends. I'd pat dearly to be able to see both close and far w/o glasses or contacts. But no doctor I've seen has been able to do that, my guess is lasik isn't a good option. Or they would have suggested it

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I'd pat dearly to be able to see both close and far w/o glasses or contacts. But no doctor I've seen has been able to do that, my guess is lasik isn't a good option. Or they would have suggested it
Lasik can't correct for both. Being able to see close is more difficult as you get older because your eye isn't flexible enough anymore to allow it to focus close. I had Lasik and can see great far away but still need reading glasses.

thumpar

Admiral
I got glasses when I was 7 years old. I have always wondered what it would be like to wake up in the morning and see perfectly. Lasik has scared me. Glad to hear the good stories about it.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you are an active person doing a variety of physical things, PRK might be a better fit for you as there is no "flap" - talk to your doctor about it. I'm former military and had it done about 10 years ago and I'm glad I did. With that said, I've also got an astigmatism which continues to change the shape of my eye, so I'll need another procedure to keep from having to wear glasses. Things to consider...

Mi duckdown

Commander
Had it done 10 years ago. I'm 60 Now. best thing I did. BUT do your homework. Had both eyes done. did not do the reading capability. since I shoot. Wear reading glasses. MY eyes where done by The doc that sort of invented Lasik.??? DO YOUR HOMEWORK

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Well, talked with my optometrist last week, and consulted with an ophthalmologist this morning.

They say no lasic, lasek, prk, or rk, or wxyz for me, at least for now.

Astigmatism, blepharitis, scrip that started changing again, and possible start of glaucoma symptoms. :(

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Had it done 10 years ago. I'm 60 Now. best thing I did. BUT do your homework. Had both eyes done. did not do the reading capability. since I shoot. Wear reading glasses. MY eyes where done by The doc that sort of invented Lasik.??? DO YOUR HOMEWORK

A friend of mine had it done a while back. He did a ton of research and thought he had the right guy. He only did one in case they screwed up. They screwed up.

I've had glasses all my life and thought about getting the procedure. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to open my eyes in the morning and have everything clear. At the same time, I don't want to screw up what I got. Risk vs Reward. Granted, waaaaay more good results than bad, but still..... Take a limb, just leave me my eyes.....

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
I had the same concerns as WIMUSKY. I got my first pair of glasses in fourth grade, and wore glasses for the next 35 plus years. First thing I put on in the morning, last thing I took off at night. And shame on me if I forgot where I set them because I couldn't see to find them. Then I had Lasik, and haven't looked back. Although I need reading glasses, and my eyesight is not perfect I'd do it again tomorrow to be free of glasses for everyday life.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, talked with my optometrist last week, and consulted with an ophthalmologist this morning.

They say no lasic, lasek, prk, or rk, or wxyz for me, at least for now.

Astigmatism, blepharitis, scrip that started changing again, and possible start of glaucoma symptoms. :(

Yup- my problems exactly which is why the PRK/Lasik is only a temporary solution. For the blepharitis I use Occusoft lid scrub which can be found at walmart. Works pretty well for me. It hasn't "cured" the blepharitis but it greatly reduces the gunk and debris in my eye.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It definitely requires research and a careful risk/benefit calculation. Most of the time LASIK works very well but some degree of eye dryness is common as well as halos/starbursts etc. I think that it may well be worth the risk for people with such poor vision that they can't function without their glasses. If your vision is not too bad and easily corrected with glasses then the risk is greater than the benefit.

salty87

Commander
Healing time can also take longer if your vision needs more correction. Dr said when they do more work with the laser it can take longer to heal.

I'm happy as can be. I too got glasses at a very young age and then switched to contacts as soon as they'd let me, around 11 yrs old. I got so tired of the routine of taking them out at night I'd sleep with them in for way too long. I'm surprised that didn't damage my eyes over the years. Now it feels normal again to wake up and be able to see naturally. I had the procedure around 10 years ago and although my arms are getting short, distance vision is still great.