Music device for my car?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have a classic Mustang that I run in parades. I need an economical sound system that I can play music on and broadcast it out to the parade viewers. This will be done using a music program from a smart phone.

I just installed a powerpoint in the car that can accommodate an inverter to power a 115 volt device. Any ideas for a device that will accomplish this? I know a Bose deal would do it but that is more money than I want to spend. The only other requirement is that a device would be capable of some volume.

I know there must be a name for what I am looking for but I do not know what that might be.

Any ideas/suggestions?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
How much do you want to spend Boom? There are many ways to accomplish this, pretty inexpensively, I know we set something like this up on my Dad's rig, using blue tooth from the smart phone, hooked to a PA speaker under the hood, so he can broadcast when he participates in the Hazel Dell Parade of Bands.

I would love to see a picture of the Classic Mustang if you have one!

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I'd really just like a device that you can plug a smart phone into and set up on the top boot of the car. I was up until 10 PM last night finishing the wiring for a tethered power point connector inside the cab. Then after all that, they did not bring their music apparatus.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
How many watts is your inverter?
If it is big enough, you could plug a house receiver/amp and use a 3.5mm male phone jack... to rca male stereo jack... to plug the phone into the receiver auxiliary in port. Then hook up pa speakers, or something like small but powerful klipsch quintet speakers.

Last edited:

MikDee

Banned
Classy car!,,, Where do you live again? let me get out my GPS :D

jaymoussy

Seaman Apprentice
...a used combo guitar amp, like a Vox Pathfinder 15R or something even cheaper. Most of that size have a main jack, as well as a auxillary input suited for CD playing and such.

If you were near me(?), you could borrow one!

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
A good boom box will do it for a parade
A boom box for boomer????? perfect :lol:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Beautiful car Boomer! That's sharp.

Thanks! I gets a lot of kudos along the parade route, too. For the last few years I have done a number of local parades with our local Congress Woman.

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
...a used combo guitar amp, like a Vox Pathfinder 15R or something even cheaper. Most of that size have a main jack, as well as a auxillary input suited for CD playing and such.

If you were near me(?), you could borrow one!

Yeah jay, I've got something like that in my son's bedroom. However it is too big. The Bose CD player with smart phone hook up (or Blue Tooth) is a much handier size. I was hoping to find something like that without the Bose pricing.

Here is a statement off of the Bose website:

"Play music wirelessly from your smartphone, computer or tablet through the system ....."

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Boom, look on Apple's website and see what they have. We got a little set of bluetooth speakers for about $50 for using around the house. Nothing fancy (you probably need a little more "oomph") but rigged up just like what you're looking for. They're are a few out there ...

Also look at the ION Road Rocker PA Speaker. That should be in the $75 range. I don't have any experience with it, but it looks "worth a try."

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I use a Bose Soundbox (Single speaker) for my boat and pickup. It's bluetooth so no wires except for maybe plugging it in to a 12V outlet..

The sound is incredible! Can be quite loud too.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a better alternative to any boat stereo or anything permanently mounted.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Also look at the ION Road Rocker PA Speaker. That should be in the $75 range. I don't have any experience with it, but it looks "worth a try."

I checked that out southkogs. There are too many comments about marginal volume level. Also I do not want anything with a battery as it will be sitting unused alot. Other wise it looked like a pretty neat package.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I use a Bose Soundbox (Single speaker) for my boat and pickup. It's bluetooth so no wires except for maybe plugging it in to a 12V outlet..

The sound is incredible! Can be quite loud too.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a better alternative to any boat stereo or anything permanently mounted.

Fleetwin, can you post a link for the model your are speaking of?

southkogs

Staff member
...Also I do not want anything with a battery as it will be sitting unused alot. Other wise it looked like a pretty neat package.
Sorry Boom - I thought it had an AC adapter. There are two little guitar amps worth looking at: One is a Pignose 7-100 and the other is a Danelectro Honeytone. Those are both designed as batter operated, but will work off an AC adapter (went and checked). Lower end of the financial pool (especially the Danelectro) and I've played on both - seem loud enough.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Sorry Boom - I thought it had an AC adapter..

Well the plan was to use one of those plug in inverters. That is why I meticulously wired in a PowerPoint adapter on tethered line. (did not want to permanently mount an outlet in my Mustang). My cigarette lighter receptical sometimes worked but they were not dimensionally ideal to use with a power plug. In the process of wiggling the plug to make it make contact, it would loosen the receptical in the dashboard. As you know, the ciggy receptical uses the dash for the ground, so if it is loose. it throws sparks when you are trying to insert the power plug.

All that being said, I am not sure what the rating is on the plug in inverter but it was enough to run something like a Bose CD player. I will check out the other suggestions that you made.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The Bose will run for several hours off of the internal battery. It comes with an A/C adapter/charger and the 12V adapter is an option. The 12V will also charge the internal battery.