How do I fix a pull tube

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Wasn't sure where to post this.
Anyone know how to patch a inner tube at the seam? I have a tube for my boat to pull people, but have a leak. Tried a patch kit a no luck.

TIA,
Eric

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If it is on the seam, you are going to have a very difficult time patching it, we have never been successful trying to patch seam leaks on our farm trucks.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can try the goop in a can...
Remember old bike tire repair kits? A cardboard can with a metal top that had lots of holes punched in it? Well, that top was like a rasp - you need that to grind down the seam, then liberal application of glue on tube and patch - and patch MUST have rounded edges.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
usually it involves buying an new tube

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Call the manufacturer and ask their CS folks.
Depending on the speeds that you use for towing, it may not be a good idea in any event, if safety is a concern for you.
I was on one that blew at ~ 50 MPH on a corner and I do not recommend the experience. :)

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Call the manufacturer and ask their CS folks.
Depending on the speeds that you use for towing, it may not be a good idea in any event, if safety is a concern for you.
I was on one that blew at ~ 50 MPH on a corner and I do not recommend the experience. :)
And your middle name isn't "Skip" either right? At 50 mph, that had to be breath taking...literally.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
This was in the days before the new breed of purpose-built "Cadillac" towables. It was a standard 10.00 X 20 truck tube.

Attaching the rope was an trial and error process; there was always chafing and wear caused to the tube.
Some days you are the windshield, that day I was the bug.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
This was in the days before the new breed of purpose-built "Cadillac" towables. It was a standard 10.00 X 20 truck tube.

Attaching the rope was an trial and error process; there was always chafing and wear caused to the tube.
Some days you are the windshield, that day I was the bug.

Back when "tubing" involves a length of rope and real truck inner-tube. Just remember to point the valve stem down!!!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Hey Eric have you brought it to a pool supply company. They might have some insight