Any good ideas for a outboard motor lock?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I went camping this weekend and got up early Sunday morning, headed to the boat ramp and some jerk was trying to take my Merc 9.8 outboard off the fishing boat, I looked at the commercial offerings and to say, I was not impressed, I was figuring I could come up with something better, have any of you folks, come up with a better solution to making sure your outboard and your boat don't become separated? Of course I know my .40 S&W would have stopped him DEAD, but didn't want to deal with the after effects!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Did you at least fire a warning shot at him? What happened when you confronted him?

You would think that wouldn't have happened in Montana. Was probably some guy from California! :)

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Did you at least fire a warning shot at him? What happened when you confronted him?

You would think that wouldn't have happened in Montana. Was probably some guy from California! :)

When I hollared, he ran like a striped A$$ ape, I was amazed, we were 30 miles from the nearest town!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Jeez. You wouldn't think that would happen out in the middle of no where like that.

We have a small 2HP Honda outboard on a dinghy we leave at the dock of our house when we are up there. Never even think about locking it. Of course I also leave the keys in the ignition of my Wellcraft too.

Last edited:

rogerwa

Commander
I have a 9.8 merc that I used an inexpensive lock that slid over the mounting bolts and locked with a long shaft padlock. This was pretty easy and inexpensive. Did you look at something like this and how was it insufficient.

http://www.iboats.com/Panther-Outbo...9087517--session_id.603270541--view_id.729951

You could use a bicycle cable lock and string it through handle on the motor and through a support on the boat. My dad did something like this..

southkogs

Staff member
Connect a 12v car battery to the outboard housing & safety chain. That should hold him still long enough to use the Smith.

That stinks MT. Glad he didn't actually get away with it.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Connect a 12v car battery to the outboard housing & safety chain. That should hold him still long enough to use the Smith.

That stinks MT. Glad he didn't actually get away with it.
Better - get an electric fence setup for cattle - that runs off 12V - just lay the wire around motor - it will serve as an alarm, also as you hear him yell when he hits it!
I can still remember hitting an electric fence as a kid - gives you a numbing ZAP!.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If they want it they will. Locks slow down most but I did see one that was bolted and locked to the transom,to save time,they used a chainsaw to cut out the transom on 2 boats. The lake was only 50-65 acers,and the neighbors just figured they were cutting wood for their firepits.... That being said,any lock keeps the small time thief away. When I lived in the big city I asked why most outdrives were gone on the boats I saw,the reply was: they take them off and put them in the garage after every outing so they don't get stolen.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are the handles just held on with a roll pin? The ones on my old small outboard were. Install, tighten the clamps down and remove the handles maybe.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a chain and a lock on my 9.9 but I also have a custom alarm on my motors. Cut a wire and the deck lights flash and the alarm goes off. Nice if I'm camping near the boat.