Need ideas on how to thread velcro cinch strap on hurricane accordian shutters

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hurricane Arthur came by yesterday and I got to use my hurricane shutters for the first time. The windows are what Andersen refers to as "gliders" where you have two panels side by side; the right hand side slides over to the left when you open it. The hurricane shutters are the accordion type. They are retained normally by a 24" Velcro cinch strap. Opening the window and reaching out to manipulate the right hand shutter strap is easy enough; it's the left one which is driving me insane. I need my arm to grow a few more inches long. That's not likely to happen so I'm looking for other ideas.

Grabbing the left hand strap to open the shutter is a maximum effort but can be done. It's after the storm when I need to restrap the left hand one that I'm really having the difficulty. Ordinarily one might think just get out there on a ladder. Well, we're talking about third story windows on a house built on 12 foot pilings. My days of climbing that high are behind me. Hanging out the window isn't all that much better but it's what I'm stuck with.

Anybody have any ideas on how to thread the strap behind the shutter (I used a wire coat hanger... it worked OK), but then to locate the loop and manipulate the strap through it from a slight distance? Each window panel is about 18" wide; my arm measures 21" from the start of my armpit to the tip of my fingers.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I follow...
Tie a string to end of velcro strap, then snag string with a hook and pull string to get velcro strap in reach,

jayhanig

I think you're on to something. I could put some pressure sensitive adhesive backed velcro on the shutter part closest to me, then stick the velcro strap to it so if I lose my grip, it doesn't go anywhere. Maybe thread a large loop of monofilament through the loose end of the strap, effectively making the strap much larger with a loop to snag it to boot. As I think about it, I think this will work much better than what I did yesterday. Thanks so much!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
When a shutter is closed, is the end of that velcro strap readily available?

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think you're on to something. I could put some pressure sensitive adhesive backed velcro on the shutter part closest to me, then stick the velcro strap to it so if I lose my grip, it doesn't go anywhere. Maybe thread a large loop of monofilament through the loose end of the strap, effectively making the strap much larger with a loop to snag it to boot. As I think about it, I think this will work much better than what I did yesterday. Thanks so much!

That's what I was thinking.
Glad I could help - I'm trying to squelch the rumors that I'm not good for anything...:lol:

jayhanig

Velcro.jpg
When a shutter is closed, is the end of that velcro strap readily available?

The straps are like oversized velcro diver's watchbands. They are not attached to the shutters in any way. It is up to me to get the strap around the shutter bundle any way I can, which is exciting hanging out a third story window. It's even more exciting because the glass only slides to one side, making one side very easy and one side very hard to reach.

Last edited: