Gas smell in generator oil

agallant80

Commander
I have a portable generator (Ryobi 2200). I went to check the oil on it and noticed it had an odor of gas to it. It did not stink like gas but I could smell it. I bought the generator last Feb and it prob has about 70 hours of run time on it. I went ahead and changed the oil (I was planning on doing it anyways). Is this anything to be worried about or is this just what small engines do? With that said the generator has tipped over a few times on to its side.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the little inverter gen works great when they run. we sold the same gen under the Ariens name (different exterior plastic). down side is that there is no service (costs more to repair than replace) the fuel shut-off is a bit temperamental, and the carb float/needle will not shut off gas flow if it is tipped on its side.

with that stated, change your oil, and use a bungee chord to keep it upright.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I had that happen in my generac inverter generator a couple of times, it was due to it being tipped over and a small amount of seepage of fuel, change the oil and as Scott said, make sure it don't get tipped over.

agallant80

Commander
Yeah that is what I figured. I will try to keep it nice but like Scott said these things are disposable considering it cheaper and quicker to get a new one of something goes really wrong. My wife thinks its too loud and wants me to get a Honda 2000 anyways.

agallant80

Commander
Honda, them things be expensive!

Well considering I bought the Ryobi and it was $700 out the door at HD I wish I bought the honda online for $999 instead. Its smaller, lighter and quieter. Not to mention the Ryobi is a year old and the pull cord and choke handel broke already.

82rude

Rear Admiral
friend of mine bought the 2000 Polaris genny.very quite ,very fuel efficient .I believe it has a 3 year warranty also and is linkable with other Polaris gennys for more power if needed.me I have a el cheapo Hyundai 1250 that just keeps on chugging along and uses a moderate amount of fuel.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Agallant, take a styrofoam cooler and remove one side. then put a small $5 walmart fan in there to keep the air circulating and you can make a sound deadening dog house.

82rude, TTI makes the Polaris/Ryobi/Ariens/Ridgid/Milwaukee Tools/etc. genny. same box of parts, different plastic housing.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I like my Generac, it is quiet, good fuel use, 2200 continuous and 2500 surge, 12 volt charging circuit , not two heavy, and can been linked with another one for more power, also only cost $499 when I bought it a couple of years ago and I received a $100 rebate. Generac calls once a quarter to make sure things are going well with it and to let me know of upgrades to my machine, which they have had 3 now and they send me the parts at no cost to me. Is turning out to be a great little generator, only thing is, it won't run my A/C on the 5th wheel, but I am thinking about getting another one to link them up.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I think when you were thinking about buying a generator, I recommended the Yamaha. I would look at those in addition to the Honda. People that use put a lot of hours on the generators around me have Hondas or Yamahas. I have a 3000W Yamaha.

Splat

Lieutenant
The Yamaha is a sweety little machine that will run my AC no problem. i think they are the same price as the Honda

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My AC is a 15,000 BTU unit, and it is an older model, I am going to put a hard start cap in it, that stores more energy for start up, as with many items that take a lot of juice on start up, it will run on way less.

dolluper

Captain
Why not buy a quieter muffler.....Honda's are now sometimes China made watch out