How Do You Guys Store Your Grease Gun(s)

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I've got two full size grease guns and two "mini" guns, all kept loaded for the job intended. Tried hanging on pegboard on wall. Oily stuff drools down wall. Now keeping in plastic trash bags (full size) or zip lock bags (minis). Go to use them they are always dirty/greasy in a pool of drool and pita to use just before launching, since there's usually no place to wash hands adequately.

Is there a secret to storage so that they are ready to use, but don't require steam cleaning my hands/arms after use?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I keep mine hanging on nails inside a cabinet door... never had any issue whatsoever with leakage.....seems odd that you do

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Keep mine wrapped in an old t shirt laying on a shelf.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
One of mine -- with bearing grease -- leaks out the back end, especially if I leave it in the hot garage. This summer I'm storing in the basement, nose down.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Ammm, HF grease guns? Poor quality grease? I don't know, but mine leak oil (through the rear).

here ya go... my grease guns are all OLD... some possibly older than me.... BUT they are all American made and high quality... cheap is the problem

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Basically, grease is oil suspended in a soap type base. The way it works in, for example, your trailer bearings is that the grease provides a reservoir for oil that weeps out into the bearing surface and lubricates it. Thus: given that the oil is designed to weep from the base, storing in a grease gun, under pressure from the spring will always result in some weeping. The amount will vary due to gun design and grease design.

So knowing that it is going to get messy, storing to absorb the mess or emptying the gun is the obvious solution.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have about 5 of them with different nozzles and all, from different sources, some pneumatic and some manual with the long handle requiring both hands to the one handed grips. I hang them on the wall with nails and they ALL drip. I use the red high temp grease in all but one that has the blue Mystic for boat trailer wheel bearings. I HATE GREASE AND GREASE GUNS WITH A PASSION. However I keep my equipment including all the farm machinery lubed properly and just use disposable plastic gloves when using. I really can't gripe as the stuff is made to stay put and protect moving metal parts which it does eloquently. It also stays put on everything around when applying. I can't even bag up my trash without getting some of it on my somehow. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Mark

agallant80

Commander
I found wiping the tip after use helps with the drool down issue, With that said I have 3 of them and the 2 from HF are worse than the one other one I have. I think its about quality. I think the cheaper ones don't seal back up after use. Also I have pretty much stopped using the other 2 and just have one I use for everything. Grease is grease, all grease is water proof and as in someones signature here (don't remember who) "any grease is better than none"

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
My guns are all Lincolns, which I guess are now made overseas, but they're decent guns, not flimsy or poorly made. Don't know if I can say the same for the grease cartridges. The Merc/Quicksilver cartridges for gimbal lube and spline grease don't leak, but the no-name #2 water-resistant bearing grease does seep.

Thalasso

Commander
For the mini guns on a peg board i have a little cup/lid under the nozzle to catch the drippies. The full size goes in a 5 gal bucket.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My guns are all Lincolns, which I guess are now made overseas, but they're decent guns, not flimsy or poorly made.
I did a bunch of research and it was 50/50 between the Lincolns and the Alemite which I bought.

oldjeep

Admiral
Hanging on the wall, but why the heck are you using them "just before launching"?

UncleWillie

Captain
I keep mine in an old Plastic Waste Paper basket. It catches any of the mess.
The secret is the pull back the spring and activate the lock to take all the pressure off the Grease in the cartridge.
Without the pressure, there is no reason for it to leak.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If its leaking its old grease or crap grease. Even quality grease will separate in time.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Mine is stored in my truck box never had leak problems and its a Alemite.