Calling all Auto Mechanics

r.j.dawg

Ensign
I just bought a 2014 Nissan Sentra. As soon as I start my car, with headlights switch in the "Off" position, the headlights, DRL's, tail lights and license plate light immediatly turn on.

It doesn't matter if the headlights are set to On, Off, Auto, all the outside lights are on. All of the interior lights adjust accordingly.

I called my dealer and the service rep said its normal on the 2014 Sentras. So, I called Nissan Canada and they also said it was normal for the 2014 Sentras as it was a requirement from Transport Canada. I find this odd as no other 2014 Nissan has this feature nor does any other maufacturer that I have seen.

So, I look up the regulations on Transport Canada's web site and it clearly states that it is against regulations for the DRL's and headlights to be on at the same time. I contacted Transport Canada and they agreed with me that the configuation of my lights is against their regulations. The rep from there is going to go to a Nissan dealer and confirm what I said to him.

My question is how do I reprogram what ever it is that needs to be reprogrammed to make my lights behave like the 2013's do? They are certainly not legal the way they are.

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Calling all Auto Mechanics

Does the DRL have its own fuse? if so pull it and see what happens.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take the car to that specific dealer or find another. I would also ask to see another vehicle to see if it does the same.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Does the DRL have its own fuse? if so pull it and see what happens.

Well, that would work to shut off the DRL's, but I want the headlight switch on the turn signal lever to operate as it should, so I can select when I want my headlights and tail lights on. I don't know how the current system is set up. Is it a headlight control module, or is it through the ECU or maybe the headlights are wired through the DRL circuit.

Take the car to that specific dealer or find another. I would also ask to see another vehicle to see if it does the same.
The dealer where I bought the car says its normal and can't be changed as well as another dealer north of us. I'm bound and determined to find a fix for this.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Well, that would work to shut off the DRL's, but I want the headlight switch on the turn signal lever to operate as it should, so I can select when I want my headlights and tail lights on. I don't know how the current system is set up. Is it a headlight control module, or is it through the ECU or maybe the headlights are wired through the DRL circuit.

The dealer where I bought the car says its normal and can't be changed as well as another dealer north of us. I'm bound and determined to find a fix for this.

Hogwash. That is NOT normal. However, it will require that the BCM be reprogrammed. Nissan does NOT like to admit when they screw up. You may have to wait a bit as the issue gains critical mass. Next time I'm near a Nissan lot, I'll chat with some of my fellow techs and see if they concur.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Hogwash. That is NOT normal. However, it will require that the BCM be reprogrammed. Nissan does NOT like to admit when they screw up. You may have to wait a bit as the issue gains critical mass. Next time I'm near a Nissan lot, I'll chat with some of my fellow techs and see if they concur.

You're absolutely right it's not normal. I have never seen any other 2014 with this headlight configuration so I think Nissan is feeding my a line of BS. Any info you can dig out would be greatly appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
This can be changed by a dealer with the know how. My 08 Ram has settings which I can change like that from my diesel programmer. Have you tried the Nissian forum