Hand me down amp reciever.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I get some good stuff passed down to me from my bro who gets it from his bud in the AV business.
And this time was a Yamaha-HTR-5990 AV receiver.
Looking forward to hooking it up, anyone used one of these before?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: Hand me down amp reciever.

Yamaha makes good stuff.i have the htr 6130 .have been reading the manual and boy its mind boggling the features and settings you have on such a modest unit.also have a 1978 or so Yamaha ca 1010 integrated amp that has the class a only feature and its still a beauty.im assuming your going to use it as a surround receiver ,im sure its going to be a good unit.dont go to batty trying to figure out the remote ,lol.I know I did.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

OH MY GOD!! I need to go to school to learn to run this thing AHHHHH.

But the biggest head scratcher is trying to hook up my Bose 901s, it requires a EQ input/output and I cant find any??

I see I am a lot like you for components I have been using a Sony TA-AV501 since 86 and its been great, but starting to get a lot of cross talk between the internal circuits, it may just need a good cleaning/blow out hopefully the switches are not carboned up/burnt dirt.

May have to go back to the original Sony tower speakers, that would be a waist luv those Bose.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Damn that thing has a lot of inputs on the back of it. See if you can find a copy of the owners manual, I have run 901's on several different types of AV receivers and they all have a provision to hook up an external equalizer, which is what the box is on the 901's so see if you can get the owners manual and track it down.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Damn that thing has a lot of inputs on the back of it. See if you can find a copy of the owners manual, I have run 901's on several different types of AV receivers and they all have a provision to hook up an external equalizer, which is what the box is on the 901's so see if you can get the owners manual and track it down.

I have a copy and attempted to read through it (OMG) and all I see is that every thing is run through the internal EQ, but will keep looking.
(Maybe a nice used set of klipsch or polk speakers later on?)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Well both Klipsch and Polk make nice speakers, or at least they used to, some of the stuff they have now a days are really tinny, but I have owned both in the past and liked them.

82rude

Rear Admiral

klipschorn has been in continuous production since 1946 .la scalla is another goodie as is the heresy.better have a big room,lol.go find a 12 year old kid ,he or she will have that thing running in no time.:)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

any luck yet rbh?

Not yet, I think I am up that creek without a paddle, there are pre amp out but no amp in.
So to the best of my knowledge the best I can do is use another amp with the EQ in and out to power the 901s.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

rbh, is there an EQ in? If so, run the pre-amp out, then to the EQ in, I have never seen a system that can't run the 901's, of course you also can just run the 901's off the speaker lead outs on the receiver, I have done this before and they will contour to the EQ in the receiver, you might drop Bose a note explaining your situation and I am sure they Engineers there will be able to come up with a solution for you, I have spoke with them many times, good group of people.

82rude

Rear Admiral

good thinking MTboatguy.I was wondering why you need the bose eq myself if the system had its own.as far as I know the eq doesn't power the speakers or anything else so why couldn't you do without?matter of fact its been a long time but im sure my friend from years ago used a totally different eq with his 901,s .as a matter of fact I think he bought my sae eq.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

rbh, is there an EQ in? If so, run the pre-amp out, then to the EQ in, I have never seen a system that can't run the 901's, of course you also can just run the 901's off the speaker lead outs on the receiver, I have done this before and they will contour to the EQ in the receiver, you might drop Bose a note explaining your situation and I am sure they Engineers there will be able to come up with a solution for you, I have spoke with them many times, good group of people.

The EQ is integral so there are no EQ ports to plug into.
Even the Bose link a couple of post back says its not doable, which does really suck!

I have been running them on pure direct mode, sounds OK, but not great.

82rude

Rear Admiral

rbh are you saying without the bose eq your speakers will not function?doesnt sound right .id eliminate the bose eq all together and see what happens.im sure ive seen them running without the bose eq but its been a long time .

rbh

Fleet Admiral

rbh are you saying without the bose eq your speakers will not function?doesnt sound right .id eliminate the bose eq all together and see what happens.im sure ive seen them running without the bose eq but its been a long time .

Bose EQ is out of the loop, running on the Yamaha EQ now.
Just does not sound like it did, mindya there are a lot of knobs, buttons, switches, slides that I have not screwed around with yet to make it sound better! LOL

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I ran my first set of 901's without the bose EQ for years, in fact, I ran them through an old Radio Shack EQ and was able to adjust them so they sounded really good. The contour system that Bose uses is not a secret, it is incorporated to virtually every single EQ system on the market, even the built in ones. All it is is an EQ that is set up to cut off and come on at certain frequencies.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

If you want the best sound, you are going to have to make the effort to learn that EQ in the Yamaha, so you can adjust for the best sound, my current set of 901's are not running through an EQ, they are straight speaker wires with a BIC subwoofer, it took a bit to get them to my sweet spot, but believe me it is possible.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If you want the best sound, you are going to have to make the effort to learn that EQ in the Yamaha, so you can adjust for the best sound, my current set of 901's are not running through an EQ, they are straight speaker wires with a BIC subwoofer, it took a bit to get them to my sweet spot, but believe me it is possible.

I have lots of beer if your looking for a reason for a road run. LOL

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Problem is rbh, you are a little vague on where you are located! "Beyond hope BC" does not give me a good idea of what direction to head!

LOL