scope

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: scope

You will be real happy with the Redfield. I just got a great deal on a Luopold VX-1 2-7 for my rifle which I still have to bore sight.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I would sight it in at 25yds, then move to 100. It should then be close at 100...... I too would shoot a couple rounds, center the scope and adjust to where I just hit. You'll save a bunch of shells that way...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I would sight it in at 25yds, then move to 100. It should then be close at 100...... I too would shoot a couple rounds, center the scope and adjust to where I just hit. You'll save a bunch of shells that way...

What I do is look up the ballistic curve of the particular round I want to shoot, then look at where the line of the bore intersects the ballistic curve closest to the gun and start my sighting in at that range, like on my .270 with a particular shell I wanted to sight the gun in for 125 yards, the ballistic curve indicated the bullet would rise above the bore line at 27 yards, so that is where I sighted in and it was dead on at 125 yards

gm280

Supreme Mariner

p

WIMUSKY, I have an interesting little story about a gun zeroing his lever action rifle at the range one day. He was standing and aiming at the target 100 yards away. He fired the rifle and then looked through the scope and started adjusting the scope. I watch him for about a half hour and on his third box of shells. I was finished zeroing a few rifles by them and offered him my rifle rest and sand bag setup so he could get his rifle zeroed finally. He looked at me and said, no thanks, I won't be using sand bags when I'm hunting so I'll just do it this way... I figured no use trying to explain anything to him and packed up and left...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

it rarely takes me more than 6-8 shells to get dialed in.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

p

He looked at me and said, no thanks, I won't be using sand bags when I'm hunting so I'll just do it this way... I figured no use trying to explain anything to him and packed up and left...

gm, I've heard that statement multiple times from guys. I just shake my head.......

JRJ

Commander

After using iron sights on paper, he will have an appreciation for optics. Good glass isn't cheap. Have fun.

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took the new rifle to my cousins, set eye relief and sighted in. between my son, me, my cousin, and one other friend, we put 60 shots through it. My son doing all but 15 or so, overall impression everyone liked the action and trigger pull and it shot very good. I had pics but my old phone crapped and I will get more.

Great package

Bruce

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
For the money the VX is a decent scope. Nikon are very nice for the money as well.

When I had my AR built last year I opted for the Leupold Mark AR with a LaRue QD mount. So far so good.....and made in the USA:)

I purchased a pair of Nikon Binoc's (Monarch 5's) - they're pretty impressive for the money. I use them for boating and will be used this season for deer.