scope

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys I am buying a Ruger American rifle 30-06 for my sons 16th birthday. I would like some opinions on an affordable scope ( $200-$300 ) to put on it. I would like 3x9x40 for the type of hunting we do. any thoughts are appreciated

Thanks
Bruce

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: scope

In that price range, I would be looking at the Nikon line, they make great scopes with a heck of a guarantee on them and are clear and bright, nice scopes, well worth looking at.

Here is a link to a sight that has most of the scopes online, I am not endorsing the website, just using them to show what Nikon has available.

Nikon Rifle Scopes | FREE Shipping | Huge Selection and Low Prices

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

+1 for the nikon and the prostaff model is always at a good price and a good value.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

If you are seriously looking for superb optics and clarity it has to be either Leopold or Burris...period! I've try too make others to know the difference... And I do like Ruger rifles over a lot of other brand too (I have some of all types). Their machined scope bases into their receivers eliminates scope bases coming loose from recoil, and it also makes for a more solid receiver too... JMHO! :joyous:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

+1 for the nikon and the prostaff model is always at a good price and a good value.

+1

I would go with 3-9x50mm though, u will apprecitate the larger field of view and not end up upgrading to one in a year or two anyway, once and done..:rolleyes:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

My Nikon's are the best IMO, I haven't had any success with Bushys or Leo's. But to each their own, let us know how it works out, they all are good choices, I think it get's down to personal preference.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I had a Redfield 5 Star for many years. Back then it was one of better scopes. My niece is using it now. Very good scope. Now they're a division of Leupold. I've heard good things, but I don't have first hand knowledge. My Leupold is very bright in low light conditions. Very happy with it..... I think I would have been happy with a Nikon too. Just always wanted a Leupold since I was a kid......

gm280

Supreme Mariner

One reason I bought Leupold instead of Nikon. We have a privately owned very huge sports store that sells everything from boats to RVs to every type gun and scope reloading equipment you could ever think of for any type hunting, fishing camping, or hiking. And when I was looking for better scope then the Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, Weaver, and all the other cheaply make junk, I asked the store owner what he thought was the best scope. He said, that he would buy Leopold over any of them. And he was selling Nikon as one of his top brands too. He said while Nikon has very good optics, their scope internals were not nearly as good as Leupold. He also stated that Leupold held up way better then every other brand he ever sold or used... So I bought a very nice Leupold Vari X III (which was their best at the time) and mounted on a new M77 Ruger 280 Rem rifle. After some initial trigger adjusting to get a crisp 3lb pull, I also floated the barrel. And with four other witnesses, I shot my first three hand loaded runs down range at 100 yards and that group was easily covered with a dime. In fact way less then a dime grouping. Nearly a one shot hole grouping... I was amazed and it still shoots that good today after years of hunting and usage. I'm sold.

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure he is that good a shot yet :) we have a cabelas about 5 miles from the house so I can peruse all the options listed. I will reply back and let you know how it goes after break in sight in and a couple boxes of shells.

Bruce

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

gm280, scopes are a very subjective choice, I have had Leupold and I like my Nikon's better, I also have a couple of eastern block county scopes that are really good, but you are not able to buy them here in the states, but for what I paid for them, they blow away all of the competition.

One thing to remember, the scope does not make the shot, the scope enhances the picture, but it takes a good shooter to make the shot. When it comes down to making good shots with a scope, it really depends on how the gun is sighted in, the best scope in the world, will not hit the broad side of a barn if it is not set up correctly.

Volphin

Lieutenant

gm280, scopes are a very subjective choice, I have had Leupold and I like my Nikon's better, I also have a couple of eastern block county scopes that are really good, but you are not able to buy them here in the states, but for what I paid for them, they blow away all of the competition.

One thing to remember, the scope does not make the shot, the scope enhances the picture, but it takes a good shooter to make the shot. When it comes down to making good shots with a scope, it really depends on how the gun is sighted in, the best scope in the world, will not hit the broad side of a barn if it is not set up correctly.

AMEN brother! Bottom line is limit yourself to a good scope. You will be pleased with Nikon or Leos. I go for Nikons myself. Leos are nice, but pricey.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

MYboatguy, You are 100% correct. And for the record I'm certainly not saying that Leupold or Burris scopes are the best in the world. They are not, there are way better scopes out there at three, four, up to ten times their prices, but for price verses performance and what I learned while researching everything I could about scopes and how they are built and transmit light in low levels, I selected them. It is like Ford verse Chevy, totally personal choice... And yes it take a good shooter to appreciate those qualities. Back in the day shooting was my main hobby... Now fishing...well when I get this boat project finished!

matt167

Captain

Just so you know, the Ruger American 30-06 has quite a kick. Sure he can handle it at 16? I bought one on a whim a while ago, but sold it before I even put a scope on it. Few test fires down a sightless barrel. I just did not like the way it operated... I didn't mind the kick since I like a rifle that has a bit of kick to it, but the trigger was what I hated and the whole thing was pretty cheap.. I like Leupold Optics but Redfield optics are the same with less warranty

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Get a little exotic in your choices- Kahles Zeus, Kahles Wein, unerti.

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He is a fairly big kid at 16... 6'1" and about 180lbs and he has shot 30-06 semi and bolt multiple guns in each, 10 gauge and 12 gauge singles, double barrel, pump, and semi. I don't think the kick will bother him and I assume he will get bigger yet. He and his cousins will shoot long after us more "experienced" guys quit and watch. I think we have them hooked ;)
Thanks for all of the replies

Bruce

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Decided on the Redfield revolution 3X9X40 and Warne rings. Scope and rings about $250, It's all mounted up just have to set eye relief and sight in and shoot. Decided on this scope due to many reasons including price, looks, and made in America. Entire package made in the USA, gun, scope, and rings. It looks great and I can't wait to get him shooting it but birthday isn't until June...... have to wait and see
Thanks for all the replies
Bruce

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Newportme, Glad you made your decision and have everything ready to go.

A little time (and bullet) saving suggestions.

When you get to the range to sight it in, take some sand bags with you. Make some yourself if you have too. Then set your target down range and take the bolt out of the rifle and look through the bore at the target. Once you have that target in the center of the bore, either have someone adjust the scope until the cross hairs line up with what you see through the rifle bore, OR you adjust them yourself and look at the target through the bore until you have both aligned to the exact same place. That will put you on paper at any range (within a reasonable distance anyway). Then I usually make at least a three shot group at the very center of your target and go down range to mark it. Then again come back and put the scope cross hairs on the center of the target again (while still on sand bags with somebody holding the rifle perfectly still) now adjust the cross hairs until they cross the previously shoot grouping. You will be perfectly zeroed then. And any place you put those crosshairs the bullet will impact! What you are really doing is adjusting the scope's crosshairs to where the bore of the rifle just shot. In affect making the scope point to the place the bore shoots... There is absolutely no need to figure out click adjustments on any scope's horizontal or vertical adjustment knobs ever. And that works at any known or unknown range (again within reason). Works every time...and saves a ton of time and bullets too! Now used those extra bullets and practice getting familiar with that rifle. Hope that helps!

I do know what I am talking about because I use to zero plenty of newly bought rifles for tons of folks preseason and shot nearly every type rifle and scope combination on the market doing that zeroing method...with a ton of pleased folks I may add. Give it a shot (pun certainly intended) :D

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks GM we were planning on the old school boresighting method, then adjust scope to shot. Then just let the kid shoot til his arm is tired, hopefully the kid will let dear old dad put a couple through it......probably not any in the first box though ;0