Resealing Toilet After Tiling

lncoop

Vice Admiral
We're having some work done on the Coop house. Nothing major, nip here, tuck there, just some overdue face lifting, part of which is new tile in the downstairs half bath. The tile man has done a great job but we've run into an issue in the downstairs half bath noone considered (myself included:embarassed:). The toilet flushes out the back instead of through the bottom and now that it's higher due to the thickness of the tile and hardibacker it doesn't quite line up like it did. Now we're concerned it won't seal properly. This is the last stop on the way to the line. The cut out is in a paneling wall and can be enlarged as necessay since the hole will be covered by the crapper. What's the easiest and cheapest way to resolve this?

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: Resealing Toilet After Tiling

If I'm reading correctly your floor tile has left a gap between the wax ring and the toilet because the toilet sits higher on the new floor tile relative to the actual sub-floor.

Easy repair: Remove the toilet and wax ring. Remove the toilet flange from the sub floor. Go to Home Depot and get one a 1/2 inch taller and connect it to the plumbing. Reinstall the wax ring and toilet. Flush and enjoy. ;)

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Yup, you need a spacer, they sell for about $4 easy to install and gets everything back in line.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I think the fixes recommended above would be for a drain that comes up through the floor, with a floor mounted toilet. Sounds like your drain is through the wall, with a wall mounted toilet - similar to what you see in commercial locations.

I think you only option is to raise the drain outlet where it comes through the wall. You'll have to open up the wall and re-arrange some of the plumbing. Degree of difficulty unknown. Probably not a big challenge for a plumber.

Does the toilet mount on the wall? If so, it will make it easier since if you get the drain a little too high (don't get it a little too low :( ) it won't matter much.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

You're probably talking about needing 1" to 1-1/4" offset after the tile and backer added-thickness. That's more than a shim job.

There are a few different types of wall mount support flanges....some have an integral drain, some are separate. They usually attach across wall studs....and this configuration is a bit unusual for residential use.....at least up here.

The Coles Notes version is that you have to raise both the support points AND the drain flange. If the DWV line is ABS, it is a DIY.
If the line is cast iron or copper, it is probably a job for a plumber....not very complex.

Bondo

Staff member

We're having some work done on the Coop house. Nothing major, nip here, tuck there, just some overdue face lifting, part of which is new tile in the downstairs half bath. The tile man has done a great job but we've run into an issue in the downstairs half bath noone considered (myself included:embarassed:). The toilet flushes out the back instead of through the bottom and now that it's higher due to the thickness of the tile and hardibacker it doesn't quite line up like it did. Now we're concerned it won't seal properly. This is the last stop on the way to the line. The cut out is in a paneling wall and can be enlarged as necessay since the hole will be covered by the crapper. What's the easiest and cheapest way to resolve this?

Ayuh,.... Pictures,...

Thalasso

Commander

I think the fixes recommended above would be for a drain that comes up through the floor, with a floor mounted toilet. Sounds like your drain is through the wall, with a wall mounted toilet - similar to what you see in commercial locations.

I think you only option is to raise the drain outlet where it comes through the wall. You'll have to open up the wall and re-arrange some of the plumbing. Degree of difficulty unknown. Probably not a big challenge for a plumber.

Does the toilet mount on the wall? If so, it will make it easier since if you get the drain a little too high (don't get it a little too low :( ) it won't matter much.

I think the toilet still set's on the floor but exit's out the back. More like a European type.

I think no matter how it's done there is going to be wall repair needed. I would just cut out that area cut the pipe lengthen the pipe and refinish. If it's plastic (simple fix)if it's the old cast iron your going to need a saw to cut it. i think they are similar to a chain wrench but with cutters on it. cut it and put a fern-co fitting on farther down. Replace with plastic

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is the throne over an accessible space, like a crawl space or basement. If yes, you might be able to raise the waste pipe slightly from underneath.

Thalasso

Commander

Incoop watch this

Old plumber shows how to cut cast iron pipe. - YouTube

If it's not wood i would remove the one sheet,my guess it's only nailed with paneling nails.Open up the wall make the repair fix wall and replace the one sheet. You can probably rent the cutter. Even if you get a plumber to do the pipe you still have to deal with the wall. You can do it your self. Take a little time you will save a lot of money.It isn't like you don't have another crapper.(as you put it)

Last edited:

foodfisher

Captain

Yes, hopefully you have access to the verticle waste pipe. Cut, lift and coupling. If not, a large acess hole will be needed.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

LOL. I'll try and remember to get some pics tonight. No potty selfies Bob, I promise. Thalasso is correct. It sits on the floor and drains out the back. The line is iron. The admiral has been the contractor for this entire process and wants to have a plumber look at it which suits me. Once she hears what he has to say she may or may not ask me what we should do which also suits me.:lol: Thanks for the input as usual.

agallant80

Commander

This happened to me. Long story and it was not my work but the person who renovated that bathroom in my house when they were trying to sell it put tile over tile. Put a ring on the toilet and calked around the base. Year later it smelled really bad. I had to get two high rings put them togeather and push her down.

Hard to tell without a picture but I do know XXit runs downhill, payday is friday, and the boss is a pain. Oh yeah...also wash your hands and don't bite your nails. :rolleyes:

foodfisher

Captain

Cast iron! May be easier to cut the tile around it and put the throne in it's original position.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Cast iron! May be easier to cut the tile around it and put the throne in it's original position.

Kinda what I was thinking as well. I shared it with the admiral the day she told me about the issue. She then shared it with the tile guy who wasn't happy to hear it, but he should have foreseen the issue when he pulled the toilet. Stay tuned.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Or you can get a wall mounted toilet that doesn't touch the ground.

I am very surprised your tile guy didn't anticipate this.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Or you can get a wall mounted toilet that doesn't touch the ground.

I am very surprised your tile guy didn't anticipate this.

It would still be an inch or more too low.
The flange needs to be moved to do it right.