how to check the windings on a three phase motor?

nwcove

Admiral
ok, heres what i have. a submersible 3phz 220v 1hp motor. it has four wires coming out of it, black, yellow , green and red. how do i check the windings with an ohm meter?

alldodge

Staff member

alldodge

Staff member
Re: how to check the windings on a three phase motor?

looked at those, they kinda dont apply .....its a sealed unit ?

You got me scratching my head. A 3-ph motor is a 3-ph motor, what else can you say about it?

nwcove

Admiral

thats what i thought too! until all the info i can find is about 6 wire and 9 wire motors. mine has 4.?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

nwcove - Is this for a home pump? Three phase is usually industrial power, not normally used for residential.

nwcove

Admiral

nwcove - Is this for a home pump? Three phase is usually industrial power, not normally used for residential.
not a typical residential deep well pump. i bought this thing at an auction for cheap. it was spec'd to large for the application. ( pump curve thing). the dealer would not take it back because there is supposedly nothing wrong with it, i just wanted to check the windings before i tried to re-sell it. just for reference sake, its a myers ,predator plus, st10-12plus-2

bigdee

Commander

thats what i thought too! until all the info i can find is about 6 wire and 9 wire motors. mine has 4.?

The six and nine lead motors are for dual voltage or star/delta configuration. Yours is a non-configurable THREE lead motor. The green lead is ground. If it is a 3 phase motor resistance will be equal on any 2 leads that you measure(all 3 equal).
A single phase well can also have 4 leads (one is ground and one is common). On a single phase motor the readings between each lead and common will differ because it will have a start winding and a run winding.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OK - Just wanted to verify.

nwcove

Admiral

The six and nine lead motors are for dual voltage or star/delta configuration. Yours is a non-configurable THREE lead motor. The green lead is ground. If it is a 3 phase motor resistance will be equal on any 2 leads that you measure(all 3 equal).
A single phase well can also have 4 leads (one is ground and one is common). On a single phase motor the readings between each lead and common will differ because it will have a start winding and a run winding.

thanks bigdee! did check for no shorts to ground, and the other three leads ohm out equal.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm doubtful it's a 3 phase pump. It's likely a 3 wire pump that requires a capacitor box above ground for operation. This is different from a 2 wire pump which has the start capacitor contained in the pump. This was done to make it easier to change the capacitor if it goes bad. You will need the cap. box to operate the pump.

bigdee

Commander

I'm doubtful it's a 3 phase pump. It's likely a 3 wire pump that requires a capacitor box above ground for operation. This is different from a 2 wire pump which has the start capacitor contained in the pump. This was done to make it easier to change the capacitor if it goes bad. You will need the cap. box to operate the pump.

I have a feeling that you may be correct. If it is single phase there will be a SLIGHT difference in ohms. Check ohms from the black lead which should be common to the red lead and then to the yellow. Then measure from yellow to red and you should see even more resistance. Use the lowest scale on your multimeter and post the results.

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

100% sure its a three phase pump.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Does it actually say 3 phase on the pump?

You sure this isn't just a 3 wire pump? Not 3 phase?

Red,black and yellow go to a motor control, green is ground for a 3 wire pump.

Have a picture of the pump's label?

This is typical for the wiring of a 3 wire single phase pump
Capture.JPG

If it's 3 phase, red, black yellow are the 3 winding inputs and should read very low ohms to each other.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner

100% sure its a three phase pump.

You could take the manufacture and/or the part number and go online to that company and see their winding layout. Most motor companies have that available so folks can see how the motor could work for their situation... Just an idea!

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

3 phase would be more than 220, red, black hot, yellow neutral, green ground.