Injector oil ok for a 2 Stroke Snowthrower?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Hi all, I picked up a used, Toro, 2 stroke snowthrower for moving snow up at the lake house. It requires a 50:1 pre mix as it is about 8 or so years old when 2 strokes were more common. I received a small bottle of Toro oil with the machine but am trying to figure out if any 2 stroke oil will work. I've got jugs of semisynthetic, 2 stroke, injector oil for my snowmobiles. Is that appropriate to use? The oil jug isn't any help nor is the Toro manual. I've read that oil for liquid cooled snowmobiles isn't appropriate for air cooled equipment but have also read the opposite. I don't want to stock special oil if not needed. I've got a huge case of outboard 2 stroke oil as well that was in the garage when we bought our lake place too...is that acceptable?

Thanks

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: Injector oil ok for a 2 Stroke Snowthrower?

This is just an opinion.
I would think 2 stroke oil that is used for snowmobiles would be perfect for the snowblower since they're both used in cold weather..... I'm running synthetic injector oil in my daughters fanner......

Edit: On the other hand, how well will "injector" oil mix with gas in the tank? To me that would be the bigger question.....

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral

I understand there's 2 types of 2 stroke oil, one for air cooled and one for water cooled(which run cooler)....Might be best to go with the recommended oil considering the costs of repairs. I'll admit that I have run my water cooled outboard oil in my air cooled Tanaka outboard, but I always use a bit increased dosage to try and feel better about it....so far, no problems!....

alldodge

Staff member

Hi all, I picked up a used, Toro, 2 stroke snowthrower for moving snow up at the lake house. It requires a 50:1 pre mix as it is about 8 or so years old when 2 strokes were more common. I received a small bottle of Toro oil with the machine but am trying to figure out if any 2 stroke oil will work. I've got jugs of semisynthetic, 2 stroke, injector oil for my snowmobiles. Is that appropriate to use? The oil jug isn't any help nor is the Toro manual. I've read that oil for liquid cooled snowmobiles isn't appropriate for air cooled equipment but have also read the opposite. I don't want to stock special oil if not needed. I've got a huge case of outboard 2 stroke oil as well that was in the garage when we bought our lake place too...is that acceptable?

Thanks

I cannot say if your injector oil mixed at the same ratio of 50:1 will achieve the same protection results as a 50:1 premix oil. The injector oil is designed to be injected at a given ration for the engine it was designed for. I pretty sure it will mix with the gas but not sure if the same protection will be achieved, that is unless it does state on the bottle it can be used as a mix ratio method. Suggest either getting regular (chainsaw, outboard) 2-cycle mix at 50:1 or use synthetic 100:1 mix such as Amsoil, Stihl or the like.

scipper77

Commander

From this site I have learned that the 2 stroke oil from our water cooled outboards will destroy an air cooled motor because it is not designed for the higher temps of an air cooled motor (I know without a reference that statement means nothing).

I would not run questionable oil in the blower. A quart of new oil should last a long time if it is only used in the blower. A blown motor would suck.

bigdee

Commander

Read the owners manual! MANY air cooled 2 strokers are recommended to USE TWC-3 oil. My generator manual recommends TWC-3 at 50:1. TWC-3 burns cleaner with less plug fouling and also has a fuel stabilizer built into it which helps with storage intervals.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Read the owners manual! MANY air cooled 2 strokers are recommended to USE TWC-3 oil. My generator manual recommends TWC-3 at 50:1. TWC-3 burns cleaner with less plug fouling and also has a fuel stabilizer built into it which helps with storage intervals.

Also helps with ring compaction

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Read the owners manual! MANY air cooled 2 strokers are recommended to USE TWC-3 oil. My generator manual recommends TWC-3 at 50:1.

+1 ^^^ Yeah....that Owner's Manual thing.... :)

And who would start an oil thread just before Christmas??!! :confused::D

JoLin

Vice Admiral

This was ask not to ;\long ago and think toro calls for twc3. Injector oil and reg 2 cycle oil can be used in either from what I was told by a small engine shop.

Here is the thread scroll down and yes Toro says TCW3 oil

http://forums.iboats.com/non-boatin...tboard-oil-other-2-stroke-engines-633055.html

I started that thread and quoted from the owner's manual. I need to note that the engine in mine is the Briggs and Stratton 2-stroke. I know for a fact that other manufacturers' 2-strokes were used by Toro along the way. Look for the requirements for the engine that's installed in your snowblower!

oldjeep

Admiral

I wouldn't use injector oil. A squeeze measure bottle of the stuff you need is like $9 at Home Depot and will last you years.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I wouldn't use injector oil. A squeeze measure bottle of the stuff you need is like $9 at Home Depot and will last you years.

Right, I've got to take some time and get to home depot. A friend of ours from up at the lake texted and said there are over 2 feet of snow plus drifts in our driveways. Trying to get someone to plow it out before we get there after Christmas. Thinking the 5hp snowthrower isn't going to come close to doing what we need. Man I wished I had gotten on the 4 wheeler band wagon when the market was loaded with them.
Interesting how my huge snowblower has a 7 hp 4 stroke but the little single stage has a 5 hp 2 stroke. Betting the two stroke has more HP. Same reason the same sized 4wheeler engine has less than half the HP of my sleds I suppose.

matt167

Captain

Your not going to get anywhere with a 5hp 2 stroke single stage in 2' of snow..

2 stroke makes power on every revolution so a smaller engine can make the same hp, but usually lack torque..

I've got a cheap Ariens Sno Tek 24E with the honda clone engine, and it will throw 2' of snow 40ft

oldjeep

Admiral

Right, I've got to take some time and get to home depot. A friend of ours from up at the lake texted and said there are over 2 feet of snow plus drifts in our driveways. Trying to get someone to plow it out before we get there after Christmas. Thinking the 5hp snowthrower isn't going to come close to doing what we need. Man I wished I had gotten on the 4 wheeler band wagon when the market was loaded with them.
Interesting how my huge snowblower has a 7 hp 4 stroke but the little single stage has a 5 hp 2 stroke. Betting the two stroke has more HP. Same reason the same sized 4wheeler engine has less than half the HP of my sleds I suppose.

You'll have better luck with your snowblower than you would with an ATV/plow in 2ft of snow.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

????
7 hp is "huge"???
I guess it is all in how you familiar you are with snow blowers and how you assess size.
I just upgraded from a very small 5 HP 24" blower to a MID-SIZE....it's 12 HP and 32".
Hell, 7 HP is almost too small to be away from its mother. :)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

You'll have better luck with your snowblower than you would with an ATV/plow in 2ft of snow.

^^^^^+1....no kidding.
This is starting to remind me a bit of Green Acres....:D

matt167

Captain

????
7 hp is "huge"???
I guess it is all in how you familiar you are with snow blowers and how you assess size.
I just upgraded from a very small 5 HP 24" blower to a MID-SIZE....it's 12 HP and 32".

Depends on the brand and impeller design.. My Sno Tek 24E ( Ariens Pro 24" model with China clone 7hp engine ) will throw 2' about 40' and is good to snow about 3' high ( just over the bucket ) still having throttle to spare. Had a few old Gilson's with 8hp cast iron Briggs engines. Loved them because they were cheap to run and started every time, but the impeller design was good for about 10' at best with fluffy snow. Granted, not bad because the newest was built in 1973

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral

????
7 hp is "huge"???

Ha Ha, no the size of the unit itself is huge but the engine is 7hp. The physical size is about as big as the biggest home depot unit I saw on the showroom floor. It handles any amount of snow or the biggest plow piles with ease for the 10 winters since I bought it. We got it when money was tight when we bought our current house back in our 20's and so it is a Yard Machine Brand with a Briggs engine which was a lot cheaper than the name brand version. The components are a bit low quality compared to an equivalent Toro but the engine has been good.

As much as I want to bring the big snow blower up with us to the lake...there is only room for the Toro 2 stroke on the snowmobile trailer with the two sleds on there...and the Toro will stay at the lake.

Good point on the 2 stroke torque. The snow thrower has no impeller....just a paddle system to throw the snow versus the snowblower that has both. The snowthrower works good with several inches of snow but can't 'throw' just a little snow more than a couple inches next to the machine...it need a decent amount of snow to work good as I am learning while testing it at home.
I seem to recall walking by the snowblowers at home depot that they show torque numbers not HP numbers now.

The 2 stroke snowthrower has no throttle and I can't figure out how it knows to power up when it encounters deep snow. It just does then powers back down when it is out of the deep snow.

oldjeep

Admiral

The 2 stroke snowthrower has no throttle and I can't figure out how it knows to power up when it encounters deep snow. It just does then powers back down when it is out of the deep snow.

Just has a governor like most snowblowers, pressure washers, lawnmowers.