Neo Angle Shower, Re-caulk or Replace

64osby

Admiral
Have a Neo-angle shower unit that's about 15 years old, fiberglass. The seam at the pan to the 3 surround panels needs to be re-caulked (again). The caulk get nasty dis-colors, moldy(?). I have done this twice before. It seems that it is discoloring faster then when originally installed.

Is there a sealant that is better than others at staying clean. Silicone, acrylic silicone, 3M -5200, Lexal ???

I've even considered fiberglassing the seam to make it a one piece, even though I'm a Tinny.:eek:

The sealant below the weep holes in the glass panel frames also discolors. Looking to remove panels completely clean and reinstall.

Am I just wasting my time by not replacing the unit? The shower is in good shape besides the sealant. Is trying this again, reasonable or should the unit just be replaced? The exact size unit is not available. Would be looking to put a 3 piece 30 x 48, 24" high pan. New side wall, tile work, moving plumbing ........

I will be doing all the work, I put it in originally.

Any advise is welcome. Like how to remove old caulk quickly. Acetone seems to clean it nice but getting all the old caulk removed is a long process.

Last edited: