pvc car port, what roof?

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am thinking about building a 20 ft long carport for my pontoon using either 1.5" or 2" pvc. Just for the frame (legs/joints/etc) i'm looking at $165 for 2" pvc and $110 for 1.5" (schedule 40).

2 questions

1) Will 1.5" be good enough, or can/will it warp over time? Should i stay safe and just go with 2"?

2) I've been contemplating options for covering it. Obviously i could throw a 20 by 20 tarp over the top (preferably 24x20), but good tarps at a decent cost are hard to come by, especially ones that last (under 100 bucks). Is there some other type of roof system I could make that I could remove when I take it down in the winter?

The boat is moved and covered by itself in the winter, I just want something so i don't have to take half hour covering and uncovering when we use it. I will anchor the 6 legs most likely in 5 gallon buckets with some cement, or somehow connect to cinderblocks. I am in the brainstorming phase so if you have any ideas let me know.

I have looked at car ports and anything within the 3 to 400 dollar range all have a tarp system that goes to hell, and is usually cheap metal or chinese made stuff, so thats why i'm thinking pvc. Plus i can disassemble mostly for winter time. I still have to figure out how to connect temporarily instead of pvc cement, maybe just using self tapping screws in the joints?

bigdee

Commander
Re: pvc car port, what roof?

What about EMT conduit instead of PVC? You could use 1-1/4". It goes together easy with couplings that have set screws that will make it easy to take down and store. You can buy (or borrow) a hand held bender to make bends or you can buy the EMT 90 degree sweep bends. You would probably come out cheaper buying a bender, that way you would have fewer couplings.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I think you'll be disappointed in PVC pipe. With only 6 legs, you're talking a horizontal span of 10' of PVC. Vertical PVC legs will wobble a lot and the horizontals will sag terribly. I'd go painted metal. I started with a ShelterLogic and when the top rotted after 3 years (365 days/yr including snow loads), I covered it with a better quality tarp that's lasting well. Best economy and best strength that I've found. - Grandad

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you find a link to the shelter logic you have? A lot of reviews for these carports under 400 are poor regarding construction and tarp quality

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I think you'll be disappointed in PVC pipe. With only 6 legs, you're talking a horizontal span of 10' of PVC. Vertical PVC legs will wobble a lot and the horizontals will sag terribly. I'd go painted metal.

^^^^^ Agree completely.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

PVC pipe is a short time solution, it works but after awhile it cracks.
Sun, wind and snow load will just destroy it over the long term.
I would try to get a good price on galvanized/aluminized exhaust pipe and have it bent for the legs/supports and the backbone gets sockets/cups welded on to hold the legs.
Maybe some purlons? to go from leg to leg for added horizontal support.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Any diameter of sched 40 PVC will sag and warp of it's own weight and if you don't paint it, to protect it from UV, it will deteriorate rapidly. IMHO, you should choose another material.

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the opinions. I will keep trying to find a pre made carport with good reviews ata decent price

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

carport 001 (Small).jpgcarport 002 (Small).jpgcarport 003 (Small).jpgcarport 004 (Small).jpg pvc works, self drilling screws, heavy duty uv resistant tarp.

nwcove

Admiral

any thought about making a jig and building 2x4 barn style trusses instead of plastic or steel pipe? cost and time may be more, but the end result is better. jmo

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Bobbo, I looked for a link like you asked me for, but I couldn't find the exact model that I have, but Scaaty has posted a link that you can probably follow down the rabbit hole, so to speak. I purchased my 10' x 20' original unit about 9 years ago at Costco here in Canada. The model has a total wrap on all sides. When it was about 3 years (maybe 4 yrs) old, I didn't get the snow cleared off promptly after a wet snow storm. (The accompanying directions clearly state not for snow loads). It collapsed onto my vintage Starcraft and could have broken the tempered glass windshield, but luckily it survived. Costco still had them. Since a number of fittings and pipes were bent, I bought a whole new unit. Because many of the original parts were salvageable, I added a 7' segment with the combined parts and attached a suitable tarp.

About 3 years ago, when it was again time to worry about a top replacement, I bought a good quality 20' x 30' tarp that's still in place and will probably last another year. The pipes still look new. I still have some surplus side panels not yet used. I'd recommend installing one of these pipe frame shelters by first driving short sections of slightly smaller diameter pipes (I used chain link fence pipes, I think) into the ground at the correct centre distances. When I assembled the shelter, I was able to slide the vertical tubes over the stubs, then slide them up or down to achieve a level structure. I then drilled and through-bolted each leg as an anchor. It's still perfectly level and hasn't budged at all. - Grandad

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guessi would just have to get an extra tarp for the sides I want to avoid rain mostly

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have to obtain any official permits or approvals before constructing your car port where you live? If you do, then that may restrict the type of construction and materials you can use.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Once you find the type you want, I would check Craigslist to try to find one that is used. Lot's of folks will sell em after they stop using them.

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have to obtain any official permits or approvals before constructing your car port where you live? If you do, then that may restrict the type of construction and materials you can use.
As long as it is movable I don't need permits. Even a simple anchor is Ok but once I cement a post into the ground its a permanent structure. I wad just going to put the feet ina bucket of cement. I will try craigslist as well