Acrylic Kitchen Sinks- good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
We're upgrading our home (also my business, and used to be my parents home) in bits and pieces, usually whenever something else is paid for or we find a screamin' deal on something -like the $1985 MSRP Jenn Air drop in ceramic range top I found in a corner of a clearance room for $268 out the door! The stovetop is white, so now mostly everything is white, except the battered up stainless sink. So I want to put in a nice new, shiny white sink. Cast iron sinks are $250 and above for just a plain-jane, and there's not many options available unless you get over $400. Composite sinks are nice, but they're not glossy.

Acrylic sinks are cheap and plentiful. And so are the reviews I've found. What scares me is that all of the positive reviews read like "We just installed this sink and it was easy and it's beautiful!!" --- And the many negative reviews seem to follow this pattern: "This stupid sink is only 6 months old and it looks like it's 50 years old"...

Great when new, but after a few months use they get all scratched up, chip, flake, and look terrible--

True or False?

Some input from real-world users who've had an acrylic sink for more than a few months would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance! :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Acrylic Kitchen Sinks- good or bad?

Compared to porcelain, china or stone, acrylic is soft, soft, soft in addition to being cheap cheap cheap.

frantically relaxing

Ok, lets say SOME are cheap, compared to cast iron...

the other issue I'm finding with cast iron, even OVER $400 is there just aren't many "options" available- such as 60-40 width with 10" deep left side and 8" right side. Possibilities with stainless are endless, but we don't want stainless. Aside from it not matching the decor now, SS doesn't look good for long either.

Lots of options in acrylic too. But I don't want to buy one every 18 months. If there's a GOOD one out there, I'd like to hear about it...

RogersJetboat454

Commander

What about something like this;
Shop KOHLER Executive Chef Double-Basin Drop-in Enameled Cast Iron Kitchen Sink at Lowes.com

It's above $400. But I honestly don't think you're going to find someone with something good to say about an acrylic sink that actually uses it.

The acrylic stuff is usually for contractors building ownerless cookie-cutters in a new development. You have to ask your self if you want to be sick of looking at your sink a few years after the remodel, when you could have spent a few hundred more on something that's going to last as long as someone wants it around.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've never had one and never will. I spent 27 years working in other peoples homes and I saw enough to know I would not waste my money on one of them.

If you don't like stainless then save you money and buy a cast iron when you can afford it.

frantically relaxing

So far y'all've talked me right out of a plastic sink. Which is pretty much what I expected. Still waiting to see is someone actually has a good one. (so far, doesn't look like it! )

I've seen that Kohler Executive in my searches, it's the one sink that's perfect, and it's about the only cast iron sink I've found that IS.

The Kohler "Efficiency" is pretty close to the same thing, but the basins are only 6-7/8" deep. But half the price of the Executive. Which begs the question; why does 20% more cast iron & enamel cost 100% more money? Affording a new sink isn't so much an issue. Paying more than I feel I need to is...
;)

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Without comparing the specs I can only guess that the greater depth requires a heavier cast. That or the fact they can get it.

The answer will vary depending on the person, but why do you need the deeper sink? I sometimes soak stuff in mine but I don't use the sink the wash anything that will fit in the dishwasher. Is bigger always better? (The women should be quite. )

One more thing for you to keep in mind and I don't recall brand names; I want to say Americast. All cast is not truely the cast we've know for a hundred years or more. There is a ligher weight cast product on the market. I discovered this when shopping for tubs.

foodfisher

Captain

The bigger, costlier sink will be costlier to replace when it isn't pretty anymore.

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are getting a sink that is deeper then the one that's currently in just make sure your drain is low enough for a deeper sink . If the sink is to deep you may need to lower the drain or your sink will not drain out properly. Same also goes if your adding a disposal. If the drain that is coming out of the wall is higher then 16 inches above the floor you need to check specs to see if it will work for your application.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

The bigger, costlier sink will be costlier to replace when it isn't pretty anymore.

Yes, but....

Acrylic sink, ain't pretty after 2-3 years, maybe 5 if he's real nice to it.
Enameled iron sink maybe not pretty after 20 years (about the time they may think the kitchen ain't pretty anymore either).

If he has to replace the sink after just a few years of use to keep it looking fresh, he's already at the cost of a nice iron sink that will last longer.

frantically relaxing

If you are getting a sink that is deeper then the one that's currently in just make sure your drain is low enough for a deeper sink . If the sink is to deep you may need to lower the drain or your sink will not drain out properly. Same also goes if your adding a disposal. If the drain that is coming out of the wall is higher then 16 inches above the floor you need to check specs to see if it will work for your application.
Already factored in. I can safely go to 8" deep on the right (disposal) side, and 16" plus on the left. That Executive is 9.75" left, 7.75" right-- perfect...

The stainless sink we have now, just a plain 50/50 7" deep sink, I put in about 4 years ago, H'Depot had 'em on clearance for a whopping $29 each. It replaced the original then-43 year old white enamel sink, that needed replacing 10 years before. I've definitely got my $29 worth out of it.

This is the Kohler 'Effiency' sink, quite similar to the Executive, but with 7" deep bowls. Deep is great, but the bigger basin is more important (to us) than a deeper basin...

kohler.jpg

--ad price $262. In perusing a local online ad site I found a lady with one for sale that's a year old for $100. If it's like new as advertised, I'll be buying it!

Many thanks for the replies and opinions!

Drowned Rat

Captain

Ditto on the cheap acrylic sinks. We tried a black one in our last house and it was beautiful until we actually used it to wash dishes. It became scuffed and annoyed the hell out of me till we moved into a new house and installed a shiny new SS one. The black color probably made it worse that a white one would look, but I would avoid them in the future.

bigdee

Commander

Ditto on the cheap acrylic sinks. We tried a black one in our last house and it was beautiful until we actually used it to wash dishes. It became scuffed and annoyed the hell out of me till we moved into a new house and installed a shiny new SS one. The black color probably made it worse that a white one would look, but I would avoid them in the future.

I have a white one and it is just as bad. Scratches trap dirt....spraying with clorox will make it look good but you have to do it everyday.

CheckFire

Cadet

I have never seen it done , but could a person powder coat a SS sink ?

tomdinwv

Just a suggestion to maybe save you a few bucks. We frequently go to a Habitat for Humanity Restore just to look and see if they have anything cool. Last fall we found a Kohler cast iron sink with white porcelin. It's 10'+ on the right and about 8" deep on the smaller bowl on the left. We took it out the door for $35. It looked brand new. I had to redo some of the trap plumbing under the sink but it only ended up costing me $10 or $15 for the pieces I needed. So it cost me about $50 total. The chances of finding one that exactly fits your needs are very very slim, but you never know.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never had an acrylic but after talking with afriend who is aplumber I would never own one. For the reasons you mention, after a few months they are scratched and look old.

on the other hand I have had 2 composit sinks in 2 houses over the last 15years. The only thing I could find that would stain them is tea. Even then with a little cream cleanser the stains came right out. You're right they aren't shiny but last virtually forever.

I do a lot of woood working nad I have even washed out a brush with Ebony wood stain and there has never been a mark left. Large pots have never been a problem, neither has hot substances (ie placing a pot right off the stove into teh sink).

We are putting in new coutertops and are also replacing our current sink with a new composite one. It has some of the options you listed. A full size sink with a smaller shallower sink on the opposite side.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If your a person who regularly gets his hands dirty/greasy often and the wife hates it when you wash up in the bathroom sink (white) I would go with stainless in the kitchen, easy to clean, will not nick or chip.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Had an experience with an acrylic bathroom counter a few years ago while staying in a hotel. No bottle opener in the room so decided to pop the cap off a beer bottle by placing it on the edge of the counter and just slapping the bottle downward. Was shocked to see that the counter chipped instead of the cap coming off. Looked like little teeth marks on the counter. Carry a bottle opener in my shaving bag now!

Status
Not open for further replies.