contura switch as a panel indicator

Splat

Lieutenant
I'm having a hard time visualizing how to do this in my mind.

I want to use a contoura switch in my truck to control my onboard air compressor. But I want to use the power on indicator on the switch to only illuminate when the compressor is on.

The only way I can think of at the moment is to come off the pressure switch, to the power in on the switch in the cab. From there go to a relay so I'm not sucking that juice through the switch.

Here's the catch. The contoura switch has a seperate hookup for the legend illumination. I don't have the switch in front of me yet to play around with how its actually wired internally.

Is anyone familiar with these that can shed some light?

Bill

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: contura switch as a panel indicator

Here is the pinout of the Contura switch. If the switch is in the on position, the LED in the switch will be lit.

Contura sw pinout.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you can somehow wire pin 7 of the switch to something that gets grounded when the compressor turns on, that will light the LED when the compressor is on.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

Here is the pinout of the Contura switch. If the switch is in the on position, the LED in the switch will be lit.

View attachment 181882

I wonder if something like this wouldn't work with the relay you are thinking about.

P3280031_zps2ec1c9e9.jpg