Chevy Tahoe 5.3 engine Reduced Power & Stabilitrak Off

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
Help! I was driving my 2007 Tahoe last week and the Stabilitrak shut Off and Engine Power reduced (I couldnt go faster than 30 mph). I cleaned the throttle body, checked the drive by wire plug at the throttle body, and did a tug test on the wires, thinking it was something related to the "drive by wire" system, as I saw on several Tahoe Forums. Everything was fine. I left the battery unplugged overnight and I drove the car for 20 minutes today thinking it was fixed and then the idiot light came back on, as did the error messages with Stabilitrak Off, Traction Control off, and Engine Power Reduced.

I plugged the OBD II in and got a 2138 error code.

I've got a 2007 Tahoe, 2WD, with 76000 miles on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Re: Chevy Tahoe 5.3 engine Reduced Power & Stabilitrak Off

Help! I was driving my 2007 Tahoe last week and the Stabilitrak shut Off and Engine Power reduced (I couldnt go faster than 30 mph). I cleaned the throttle body, checked the drive by wire plug at the throttle body, and did a tug test on the wires, thinking it was something related to the "drive by wire" system, as I saw on several Tahoe Forums. Everything was fine. I left the battery unplugged overnight and I drove the car for 20 minutes today thinking it was fixed and then the idiot light came back on, as did the error messages with Stabilitrak Off, Traction Control off, and Engine Power Reduced.

I plugged the OBD II in and got a 2138 error code.

I've got a 2007 Tahoe, 2WD, with 76000 miles on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

What is the 2138 code telling you? Sounds like critical fault ,limp home ?Throttle position sensor?

cobalt1999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Google P2138
The problem is in the accelerator pedal position sensor or wiring.

jkust

Rear Admiral

A TSB isn't a recall...I presume the op is looking for a solution outside of taking it to a dealer as I expect it is out of warranty. Taking it in to a dealer for this particular TSB out of the of the dozens and dozens of likely tsb's that GM puts out on all of their cars in lieu of a recall will simply cost more than a private shop. My worst advice if it isn't under warranty such as a GMPP extended warranty is to take it to a dealer. Dealers here are well over 100/hour while a private shop is half of that. I have two of that identical engine both the same year and this one is new to me. The throttle body on the 5.3 doesn't require the cleaning that some of the other gm designs do. While it technically can be unclean, it isn't like the GM 4.2liter inline 6 notorious for dirty tb.

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class

It ended up being the throttle position sensor. Was a pretty easy fix and the part only cost $40. Apparantly this is a common issue on some of the newer Chevy 5.3 engines.

thanks for the help everyone!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This is where a good scan tool(more than just codes) comes in handy. I have the autoenginuity tool which I hook up to my laptop and you could have hooked it up and read the TPS output to see if it was working correctly.

I recently replaced the throttle position sensor on my Lexus and I need it to set the initial setting of the TPS.

That tool is expensive but has saved me a lot of grief on many cars.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Glad you found the problem. I have seen far more steering wheel position sensors (which affect the stabilitrac not the other symptoms) than throttle position sensors.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I'm with Bruce. I use OBD2.com's scan tool. gives me the ability to read voltages, or position of the TPS. I use the voltage scale, and comfirm with my VOM