2.2l Ecotec timing chain

TilliamWe

Banned
What is the replacement interval for these chains? And are they just as big of a PITA as the 2.4/ twin cams to change? Thanks.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2.2l Ecotec timing chain

Sounds like it is as much of a pain in the butt as the timing chains on my ford 4.0 liter SOHC engine was!

Speak

Chief Petty Officer

What is the replacement interval for these chains? And are they just as big of a PITA as the 2.4/ twin cams to change? Thanks.

I worked at a GM store for many years and know a fair bit about those motors. There is no interval noted for changing the chains. The week point is only really the timing chain tensioners which only fail due to lack of maintenance. If there is no noise from the chains then there is no need to worry. "if it ain't broke - don't fix it"

TilliamWe

Banned

What maintenance can you do on the tensioners? Aren't they under the chain cover with the chain?

Speak

Chief Petty Officer

Yes it is under the cover. When I said maintenance I meant engine oil changes. Lack of oil changes block the galleries which cause the tensioners to not react as quick.

TilliamWe

Banned

Yes it is under the cover. When I said maintenance I meant engine oil changes. Lack of oil changes block the galleries which cause the tensioners to not react as quick.

ah, I see, copy that!