Emergency Jump Starter Recommendation?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The better ones seem to have an 18-19 AH battery installed, so that's where I'm looking. Besides buying one that'll last, I'd like it to recharge from a 12V source in addition to the wall plug. Specs don't seem to generally say whether it will or not.

Anybody had one for a few years that works well and is holding up?

Thanks!

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Emergency Jump Starter Recommendation?

Yeah, I have one of those Harbor Freight jumpboxes. It's saved me a few times. It's got both charger cords and has a 900 amp peak. With a coupon you can get 'em for 36 bucks. Keep it on the boat but I'm thinking about getting a second one for work.
12 Volt Power Supply and Jump-Start

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I think they are a gimmick. Unless you are in the rescue business, IMHO it is just another battery to go dead on you while it is sitting around unused. I even quit buying separate batteries for my Mustang and Boat. I can't use them both at the same time so I swap it between the two vehicles and keep a float charger on it in the meanwhile. I got tired of replacing batteries that were seldom used.

bigdee

Commander

I have a Black & Decker, over six years and still going. It has come in handy quite a few times especially since it has an air compressor and a 400 watt AC inverter built into it. The lead acid batteries hold a charge for a long time so you only need to charge them every few months or so. Mine will charge off 12v or Ac so I take it with me when I go boating...it has saved the day more than once!

Harbor freight has one similar for under $100 Portable Power Pack - 12V, 5-in-1 Portable Power Pack

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I swap it between the two vehicles and keep a float charger on it in the meanwhile.

And if you forget to hook up the charger? Just something else to go dead, except you'll be SOL without a jump box. ;)

I bought the Harbor Freight box with the air compressor. Makes tending to vehicle and trailer tires so much easier. After use, it gets plugged into the wall with timer. Any brand that has a 12v power port will accommodate 12v charging. I also manufactured a pigtail with alligator clips so just about any 12v item can be powered. Works great for checking trailer lights without having to hook up the 'Hoe ...

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Any brand that has a 12v power port will accommodate 12v charging. QUOTE]

Ah- the 'missing link'. Thanks for that.

Boomya, I get your point but I'd still like to have one. This is primarily for a 16' knockaround outboard boat I bought recently. I'm fixing it up to tow down to (and keep in) Florida. For my purposes I'd rather carry a multi-functional device aboard than wire in a second battery. As a secondary consideration, there've been a couple times where I'd like to have played the Good Samaritan but didn't have the means.

If anyone else has brand advice, feel free to chime in.

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was given one for christmas last year.
12v and wall charge
compressor
work light
jump starter
and 240v inverter
have used it heaps on cars. even my boss had to use it at work.
i was showing a friend the inverter side and didnt realize i plugged the wrong power board in
it ran the tv, cable tv box. the full computer system and the cable modem all at once.
i don't know how long it would run all that for, but it was cool to see it all run.

I'm laying in bed so i cant say who makes it.
*Gets out of bed*
ok the inverter is only 400 watts so it wouldn't run much for long
and its made by powertech and its yellow with a black handle
that's all i know )

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Mine lasted 10 years,used quite often helping others and myself in a pinch.used it at least once a month mostly. Currently looking at a new one that has similar amps and such.image.jpg