Lighting hot water heater pilot light easy???

ezbtr

Commander
Have'nt done one in years and took a brief look last night, basically push knob in, twist and light, correct?

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lighting hot water heater pilot light easy???

Normally you push it in and hold it while you light the pilot light. Then after it has warmed up you can turn it to on. There is a heat sensor there so if the flame gets blown out it will not keep flowing gas.

aspeck

Staff member

Depends. Most of the newer ones are electric pilots, so they spark to get the flame started ... considered safer since you don't have a flame on when not in use.

Thalasso

Commander

Normally you push it in and hold it while you light the pilot light. Then after it has warmed up you can turn it to on. There is a heat sensor there so if the flame gets blown out it will not keep flowing gas.

It's called a thermocouple

ezbtr

Commander

yeah was auto ignitor(newer 8 yr old type) held down for about a minute and all went well - the directions on it were decent too :>)

oldjeep

Admiral

Depends. Most of the newer ones are electric pilots, so they spark to get the flame started ... considered safer since you don't have a flame on when not in use.

Really? I don't think I've ever seen a water heater with electric ignition

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The common term, "hot water heater" always amuses me.:p Hot water does not need heating. It is cold water that needs a heater, to make hot water.

We have a strange language. :facepalm:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Really? I don't think I've ever seen a water heater with electric ignition

I have one in my camper, and my last home had one. Of course if you don't have LPG or Gas, you would not have electronic ignition.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

The common term, "hot water heater" always amuses me.:p Hot water does not need heating. It is cold water that needs a heater, to make hot water.

We have a strange language. :facepalm:

Yes, we do JB, My wife and I were just discussing that this afternoon.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's called a thermocouple

Yes, but it's not actually a thermocouple. It's a capillary in which the fluid expands when heated, sufficiently to push open a valve in the main gas line. When you turn to "on", you open a second valve in that same line and gas is free to flow into the burner.

An actual "thermocouple" is a junction of two dissimilar metals which produces a small voltage related to its real-time temperature. These require some electronic circuitry to convert that information into a usable function. Capillary systems don't require that, and thus are less expensive to make.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

All the water heaters I have worked on use actual thermocouples.

How Does a Gas Water Heater Thermocouple Work? | eHow.com

In the thermocouples used in most water heaters, the heat from the pilot light will generate a current measuring 20 millivolts in the thermocouple circuit. This voltage is sufficient to control and hold in the "open" position the gas control supply valve to the pilot.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Yes, but it's not actually a thermocouple. It's a capillary in which the fluid expands when heated, sufficiently to push open a valve in the main gas line. When you turn to "on", you open a second valve in that same line and gas is free to flow into the burner.

An actual "thermocouple" is a junction of two dissimilar metals which produces a small voltage related to its real-time temperature. These require some electronic circuitry to convert that information into a usable function. Capillary systems don't require that, and thus are less expensive to make.

You are talking about a mercury safety switch.
My water heater has a thermocouple.....my gas fireplace has both....redundancy.

foodfisher

Captain

Try to buy a capillary at the appliance parts store.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Wow! I guess I've been out of that particular loop for too long! I stand corrected!

Thanks guys.
Despite an evolutionary change in the "where used", it was an excellent description of a thermocouple nonetheless... :)

mscher

Lieutenant

Glad to see, I'm not the only one, losing my mind. ;)

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A pilot light thermocouple is two dissimilar metals bonded together that produce about a quarter of a volt when heated, which is strong enough to hold a solenoid valve in the gas valve open, but not enough to actuate it, hence pushing and holding the knob for a minute. Release the knob, and if it stays on, then twist.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Busted by the thread police....

Attachments

• thread_police.gif
    thread_police.gif
    53.1 KB · Views: 0

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Busted by the thread police....

I read some of the responses here, and some are confusing thermocouples with sensing bulbs and spreading it. Sorry, I seem to be under some delusion this is a "technical" thread. I'll work on that. The OP asked a simple question, and he doesn't seem to be getting many simple answers. My answer is:No, the sequence is push, light, hold, twist.