Penetrating oil - whats best? Really.

Moody Blue

Captain
OK, I've read all the hype from different manufacturers and they all claim to be the best. Now what are the real world success stories? What has failed dismally?

Hoping to hear from members that use the stuff routinely in their jobs and depend on it to do what it's supposed to do.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Penetrating oil - whats best? Really.

Get some ATF and Acetone and mix it 50:50. About the best you'll find for penatrating oil.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

Get some ATF and Acetone and mix it 50:50. About the best you'll find for penetrating oil.

You left out the bucket of fish guts you need to rub on the parts to mask the ATF stink cloud that now calls that piece of metal home :D

PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench have both been good to me. Is hammer considered a penetrating oil?

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like PB Blaster.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Liquid Wrench and PB Blaster..

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The ox/acy torch still works the best.

O' well, everybody has their "opinions"

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I like PB Blaster as well. Seems like you can actually "watch" it crawl into tight spots.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i used liqiud wrench for years, now use pb blaster if its sunday and i need it now, otherwise whatever they have at work, toyota or gm penetrating lube whatever the guy in the parts dept gives me

durban

I only use Nitric Acid ive never found any thing that deos the job better than this stuff , ive uploaded photos ask any one if they have removed these bolts without the head breaking off leaving the studs in .99% you find this with motors that have been used over years in salt water wot i do drill 2 little holes about 2mm dia 0n opposite sides between the thread & aluminium , then put nitric acid in & leave for a few hrs , come back & turn them out by hand if the stud sticks out . if you cannot get a grip on the stud drill a hole in the center of the stud & turn them out using a easy out tool , but you must use nitric acid it eats the salt like no ones business , i recomend this over& above all produts on the market ,because it destoys the salt completely

Attachments

• Photo0539.jpg
    Photo0539.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo0540.jpg
    Photo0540.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 0

durban

I only use Nitric Acid ive never found any thing that deos the job better than this stuff , ive uploaded photos ask any one if they have removed these bolts without the head breaking off leaving the studs in .99% you find this with motors that have been used over years in salt water wot i do drill 2 little holes about 2mm dia 0n opposite sides between the thread & aluminium , then put nitric acid in & leave for a few hrs , come back & turn them out by hand if the stud sticks out . if you cannot get a grip on the stud drill a hole in the center of the stud & turn them out using a easy out tool , but you must use nitric acid it eats the salt like no ones business , i recomend this over& above all produts on the market ,because it destoys the salt completely

by the way u will see my reflection in the photo with black paint on using my new special epoxy paint formula . this is just the first coat . & see the gloss

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

boobie

Supreme Mariner

There was a post on here a few yrs back ran by some engineering firm and the ATF mix was 1st and Kroil 2nd. The ATF was the cheapest.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There was a post on here a few yrs back ran by some engineering firm and the ATF mix was 1st and Kroil 2nd. The ATF was the cheapest.
If you are talking about the so called "Machinist Workshop magazine" article that has been floating around the internet for years, I don't think anyone has actually been able to find the actual article but the numbers get quoted all over the place. Some people claim that it wasn't even ATF but power steering fluid too.

robert graham

Admiral

In a spray bottle I mix about 30% Naptha, 30% Mineral Spirits(Paint Thinner), 30% motor oil....pretty handy stuff!;)

hotshot123

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i normally just use whatever is on sale at advance auto but recently i got a chance to use something new and it worked better than anything we had tried. I have no idea how much it cost because i borrowed the can from work but this is made by locktite and it is called freeze release or something like that. After using everything else i could think of with no luck, i was able to use this stuff to remove some really stuck nuts off my bulldozer. the theory is that it is so cold coming out of the can that it freezes (-45 deg.) the bolt/nut and that shock causes the rust to crack thus allowing the penetrant to work its way in. It worked for me when nothing else would. I had 8 nuts that were totally stuck, i broke 2 studs off and rounded the nut on the third one before trying this stuff. after spraying and waiting a min or 2, i was able to screw off the rounded nut with a pair of pliers and the other 5 came right off with the ratchet.