Every Day Carry (EDC) Knife

scipper77

Commander
Last week while fishing with a buddy I needed a knife so rather than get mine out of my tackle box I asked my buddy if I could use his. Later that same day I was grilling and needed a knife to open some plastic meat packaging, same buddy was standing right there so I asked to borrow his knife again.

At that moment I realized that I really should have an EDC on me at all times.

Now I am trying to decide what knife I want for an every day carry. I'd like to be at around $30 shipped.

So who here has an EDC knife and what is it, how do you like it etc...

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Every Day Carry (EDC) Knife

CRKT M16-02Z. Finger start gravity opening. Convenient pocket clip and keeps an edge. Many styles to chose from.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Kabar :)

Seriously, both my Leathermans and both my Swiss Armys have good, sharp blades. The Kabar and the Case Bowie are for heavy work.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I've been carrying a pocketknife as long as I can remember. Growing up in Harrison, Arkansas we were even allowed to carry them in school:eek: (that was more than a few years ago). Kershaw and Gerber make excellent GP pocketknives in a variety of price points and sizes. There are others that are just as good I'm sure, but those come immediately to mind as readily available names with good track records at reasonable prices. I'm currently carrying a Kershaw Indian Ford. Nice look, perfect weight and size, and has held up well to my shenanigans (left on bumper of truck and later found on road, that sort of silliness). I'd say go to a sporting goods store and handle a few to see what fits your hand well and go from there.

JRJ

Commander

I'm enjoying my NRA giveaway. 2 1/2" stainless blade(3 1/4" overall), rosewood, lock-back. Good pocket knife and investment in freedom.

scipper77

Commander

I bought a Kershaw tremor off of a deal site for $18. A bit of an impulse buy and way to big for an EDC. But the knife is awesome. Super sturdy construction, razor sharp (literally), and the assisted open that Kershaw uses is just fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to get a different Kershaw but there are at least a dozen models that look like they might be suitable for EDC.

One knife that I really liked on amazon was this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001B6X6SK/ref=mp_s_a_6?qid=1336501297&sr=8-6 the problem is that I am left handed and crkt's assisted open is for right hand opening.

Web research points me towards the Spyderco tenacious or the Kershaw skyline.

Please keep the recommendations coming. There are some great knives that i never knew about like that CRKT M16-02Z. Unfortunately gravity knives are a no no in NY. Ironically Kershaws speed assist is ok based on the wording of the law that only bans knives with springs actuated from the handle. Speed assist is a torsion bar actuated by the pushing the blade and can not be opened with gravity or a flip of the wrist.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

I like the Spyderco Stretch, but it starts at around $70.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&q=spyderco+stretch&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10625817882509681642&sa=X&ei=KXCpT_a9BanH6AGO8vymBA&ved=0CI8BEPMCMAI

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Stretch-Lightweight-Serrated-Knife/dp/B002FJ4622/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1336511114&sr=1-5

[/URL]
It has a four-way clip so you can put it where you want for left/right-hand and tip-up/tip-down.

Plain, serrated, or combination blade.

There's also a more expensive version with the harder ZDP-189 steel blade.

scipper77

Commander

I like the Spyderco knives because they are right or left handed, no assisted open (dont have to worry about it being considered a switchblade or gravity knife) the blade is high quality, and the price for one like the ambitious or persistence is pretty good.

Kershaw seems like the best value but take away the assisted open and I'm not sure that they really stand out in a crowd anymore.

I work in a setting where I need a small knife that can be pocketed with no clip. It is a university setting so I'm really want to make sure the knife is not seen unless I am using it.

I must confess that I do have a folding knife that would work for me but I would really like to buy a nice knife just because I like to have good quality gear.

aspeck

Staff member

Not too picky about my EDC since I lose them occasionally (left on a counter somewhere, someone else borrows and gets put in their pocket, etc.). I like the 1 3/4" to 2 1/2" blades. I like them flat and small. And I like them to hold an edge. I am, however, constantly sharpening them. Gerber and Buck both make small, flat, easy to carry pocket knives that are so cheap they can almost be considered disposable. Most everyone around is always asking to borrow my knife and my finger nail clippers. To tools I hate to leave home without. (Well, those and the .380 auto or the .44 mag, depending on where I am headed. ;):eek:)

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I like the knives w the clips to hold them in the pocket for fast access and I don't loose them like pocketknives when they fall out of my pocket when I sit down. I found 2 pocket knives in my couch years ago that were missing for months another was under the seat in my truck for years!! Spydercos are nice and rugged but cost alot more these days like most good knives. I'm looking at a Benchmark I might buy soon. Stay away from the Gerbers w the skeletonized handles, the are good/cheap knives but the locking mech eventually breaks making them about useless.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I vote for Swiss Army knife, but not one of the giant ones with a zillion tools. You can get just about any combination of tools you want, whip it out of your pocket and get to the task. I like: large & small blade, awl, regular & phillips screw driver, bottle opener, can opener (can be used for cleaning toe nails as well as opening cans! :D). Corkscrew, tweezers and toothpick are nice too. I don't care for the wrench, it's kind of useless.

I find that the SS holds a nice edge and of course, never rusts or corrodes. They've been through the washer many times.

I have a couple, one for each pair of pants I have going at any one time, and don't go anywhere without it. Except maybe thru airport screening.

My favorites:

wDSC_5920.jpg

(Don't get one of these: )

swiss-army-knife1.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Ive got bucks, barlows, case, kabar, and kershaws. Lockblades and fixed. Serrated and non. And what do I carry??? One of these pos`s. It works every time, it always sharp and with the clip I`m not digging through a pocket to find it. Harbor Freight $5

image_15295.jpg

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I saw the first couple words of your title and thought we were talking about something, err shall we say louder? :D

As for knives, being in law enforcement I have carried and used over a dozen folders both on and off duty. Sounds like a regular jack knife would work for your purposes, but I really find the clip to be useful since it keeps it handy and in the same spot every time. I've used knives made by Gerber, Cold Steel, Smith and Wesson, kershaw, and cheapos. The best I've used are the Cold Steel Voyagers, but those are more like $60 (get the metal clip, plastic breaks after 6-8 months). For the price, I found the Gerber to be excellent, cost $30 and lasted about a year before being to dull for my likes. Knives that use disposable razor blades are awesome as well, cost about $10-$15 at Lowes/HD and the blades can be changed whenever it even starts to get dull.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You see things my way, Bob. Love the Swiss Army knives, been carrying them for almost 30 years.

I like the simplicity and it not intimidating. My other knives (larger folders and fixed blade) look too big and are annoying to carry everyday. I do like the toothpick and tweezers (Fantastic for splinters) for their uses.

My wife loves here mini swiss army that I gave her however, since she is in court weekly....... it is left with the Sheriff at the front door.

The razor bladed knives are okay but make lousy screwdrivers! Good for construction.

I am really not a fan of the partial serrated blades since I have never had the need for that edge and the edge of the swiss army is sharp and stays that way.