Refinishing a fiberglass shower enclosure?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Has anyone had this done? Over the years I have seen numerous vendors at homeshows that offer to do this. I am wondering how durable this process would be.

The full sized shower enclosure in our master bath is now about 24 years old. It is showing it's age although it appears to be structurally sound. Especially the floor pan surface is becoming porous so that mildew grows, turning it black. We have regularly taken to squeegeeing off the floor when we are done showering and we still have to constantly scrub it to keep it presentable.

Our last visit to the homeshow had numerous vendors that would come and rip the old one out and install new acrylic enclosures. As you might imagine this would not be cheap as the enclosures are flanged under the surrounding drywall.

I would rather not have to take out a home equity loan just to make our enclosure relatively presentable. On the other hand I would not like to spend money to have a refinish soon look worse than before it was done.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Refinishing a fiberglass shower enclosure?

Refinishing is a paint like proceedure that will fail around the drain and door tracks. Use 1/4 cup bleach in a gallon of water, in a spray bottle. Spray enclosure when dry as needed. It will stop the mildew but it won't bring back the original finish. edit: leftover mix poured down the drain will kill the bacteria that makes the sewer smell.

Last edited:

dolluper

Captain

I put a wrap over kit in our bathroom...mind you we have a tub also....cost about 1000 bones including all material ,plumbing new drain + extender,new moen tapsets, caulking... in acrylic.....without the tub just shower kits were about 600 complete.....we clean our unit with sunlight dish soap{on dry ,let run down,soft cloth to lite scrub,then add water} so to not scratch the acrylic.....you have to be aware it can scratch easy ...no abrasives

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

One of the difficult things is cleaning mildew and mold. We all agree that bleach is good (and pool chlorine is better since it is stronger by %) however, depending on your plumbing............ bleach will kill the "good" bacteria in the septic tank (if you have a septic and not a municipal sewer) and could lead to septic problems.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

You can buy the solution and re gelcoat

I thought about trying that. The enclosure is all one piece. The upper portions are in reasonable shape. I might be able to tape off the floor pan portion, that has shown the most wear, and re-gel coat it.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I believe gel coat is gel coat, you could get creative. Just toss in something to make it no-slip again.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yep....re gell it.....it will take about 4 hours....

the gellcoat and resin used on surrounds is the same as on a boat....

you could do it with a roller for around 20 bux.....then just sand it till you are happy.....then buff....

if you want detailed instructions.....pm me this link as i dont look here too often.

ill type the whole thing out for ya boom

bigdee

Commander

I just re-done both my baths and had the same dilemma. Finally decided it was easier to replace them.
Bought new tub from Lowes for $138 and the surround for $248. total cost after replacing faucet and drain molding and caulk was around $500 for each bathroom and they look great. I had to cut the old shower unit in half to remove it but it was very easy to do with a multi-tool from HF. I tried my sawzall first but it made too much dust.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I've done several, use a high end automotive paint, to do the whole thing from start to finish will take about a day. Doing just the floor will take a couple of hours.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I've done several, use a high end automotive paint, to do the whole thing from start to finish will take about a day. Doing just the floor will take a couple of hours.

Are you saying you don't like the idea of re-gelcoating?

foodfisher

Captain

Remember, to do any kind of resurfacing properly, you'll have to remove the drain. After 25yrs. of being there, it could lead to a frustrating setback.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Remember, to do any kind of resurfacing properly, you'll have to remove the drain. After 25yrs. of being there, it could lead to a frustrating setback.

I assume you mean the drain grate? It should come right up with the removal of two screws. I'd be more afraid of what I would find under it than I would be of not being able to remove it!

foodfisher

Captain

Not just the grate. The Thingy that the grate screws into. The finish should go under it also.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Paint it with interlux perfection if they have the right color. You will get a quality not seen in home paint application's. One draw back that room will need to be sealed during the drying process the fumes are bad news but it will be as hard as nails and a piano finish.. It will take a few days however.

Or just get a new one...jeezz you rebuilt your floating tub... motors... carbs...custom fabrication...if i remeber right you took more time on your bilge....What you dont you luv the old girl anymore...:p

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

....Or just get a new one...jeezz

Now that you have lots of time on your hands are you volunteering to come over and repair all the drywall, including matching the texture and replacing the rounded corners?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Now that you have lots of time on your hands are you volunteering to come over and repair all the drywall, including matching the texture and replacing the rounded corners?

Edited: Or just get a new one...jeezz you rebuilt your floating tub... motors... carbs...custom fabrication...if i remeber right you took more time on your bilge....What you dont you luv the old girl anymore...

Nope im finishing the starcraft finally after 4 yrs..Wanna trade...:D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Edited: Or just get a new one...jeezz you rebuilt your floating tub... motors... carbs...custom fabrication...if i remeber right you took more time on your bilge....What you dont you luv the old girl anymore...

Nope im finishing the starcraft finally after 4 yrs..Wanna trade...:D

Boats are easy! Drywall is a PITA! Besides boat repair is done outside and does not disrupt your life.