• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want your old snowblower to throw farther?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want your old snowblower to throw farther?

I live in an area which gets an average of 14ft of annual snowfall........needless to say that after a couple months the snowbanks get to be about 5 ft high and the blower has to blow it back and up quite high. My 5 year old 2 stage blower was starting to loose a bit of distance so I tuned it up and replaced the belts which made a slight improvement . I was considering replacing it when I found a site online which sold a kit which claimed to improve the throwing distance of any blower by reducing the impellor clearance. I looked at some online videos and testimonials and though I was still sceptical I figured it would be worth a try. I made my own flaps out of a heavy rubber truck mudflap and some 1/4 dia by 3/4 in bolts , nyloc nuts and washers
    .It took about 2 hrs of work but the results are amazing........the blower throws snow farther than when it was brand new by about 25%,
    you can buy a kit from http://smllengns.tripod.com/ but it is very simple to make your own as I did !
    sigpic

Re: Want your old snowblower to throw farther?

or install a V-8
    (Note: the word "carburetor" is a French word. In English it refers to the fuel mixture dispenser residing near a cylinder. However, you should be aware that the meaning of this word in the native French language is quite different. In French it means: "Don't mess with me".)

Comment

Very interesting, I will look into this for my snowblower.

I mean the impeller flaps, not the v8.

The concept is really not new, as I had a single stage thrower a few years ago,
      and MTD sold rubber flap replacement kits for the "tiller blade" work edges.
      The rubber would wear out, as it not only threw the snow, but also provided some
      self propulsion.

Putting the rubber flaps on the impeller is new to me, and I would wonder about
      any chance of the rubber flap screws working loose, and an increased work load on the engine.

sigpic

Comment

you poor up north fellas! We have the ac on tonight down here SE Texas.....and had to put on skeeter spray to sit outside last night...but I wouldn't know what to do in that much snow
        Never ask a man where he is from, if he is from Texas he will let you know, otherwise don't embarrass him!

Comment

Yup my son and I always build our own with a piece of conveyor belt and some grade 8 bolts from tractor supply.
          This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
          Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Originally posted by cgd7777777 View Post
            you poor up north fellas! We have the ac on tonight down here SE Texas.....and had to put on skeeter spray to sit outside last night...but I wouldn't know what to do in that much snow
            well I bet in July and August you wouldn`t mind having one of our snowbanks to cool off in !
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fisherguy123 View Post
              well I bet in July and August you wouldn`t mind having one of our snowbanks to cool off in !
              haha, you mean April to November.

Thats alot of snow, I once saw about a quarter inch back in 1985.
              Old enough to know better, still too young to care.

Comment

snow blower throwing distance is a fine mix of impeller geometry ratio to auger ratio, and of course, the speed that the impeller spins. Manufacturers that have multiple impeller diameters across their range generally tune the impeller to the model's engine horsepower. However some manufacturers use a single impeller diameter across all their products and never fully use the engine's power that is available.

If the kit works for your application, that is all that matters.
                1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 - VP AQ271C / 290DP "Rock'n Along"
                http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=500145
                1970 Wooster Hellion 7' of cool mini boat with a Merc 9.8
                Recent Boats
                2002 SeaRay 190BR - MC 5.0 / Alpha I series II "Cheasheads in Paradise"
                1984 Avanti 170DLI - OMC 3.0 / OMC Stringer 400 "Ship Happens"

The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me

Comment

Yep gearing....pulley sizes can make fly different ...but these mods make wet stuff shoot out better filling the gap on the housing where the wet stuff sticks to the housing and clogs the shoot ....homemade using at least 3/16 rubber ...thin metal for support and small bolts spaced indentical on each blade with nylon nuts
                  You forget you don't remember!
                  Friends are family we choose for ourselfs
                  Ifin YOU KNOW it goes....if not it doesn't
                  Transom Repair http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/i...i,1437,00.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_VT View Post
                    Yup my son and I always build our own with a piece of conveyor belt and some grade 8 bolts from tractor supply.
                    You're in Vermont.
                    Do you get much snow that far south?....
                    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat. (Will Rogers)

Comment

I looked into my 2 stage 5 hp craftsman, and it has a plastic impeller.
                      I won't mess with that, although I did see about 1/2" gap all aroound, and did not like that.

My thoughts are to use a piece of 1/4" rubber to make a strip and rivet it to the steel wall
                      around the impeller. The rivets would be from the inside out, so there should still be enough
                      clearance for the impeller to spin unaffected. Whenever I have had freeze-ups of slosh,
                      that is where it started, in that darn gap. This fix should stop or minimize that slosh freeze-up.

Since some of you have already done the impeller side fix, what do you think of decreasing
                      the gap by a shim on the steel wall, rather than messing with the impeller?

Thanks in advance...
                      sigpic

Comment

ya .........mickjetblue ........I think that would probably work well. My gap was about 3/8 on a 10 hp 27" cut MTD machine . My buddy has a new Honda which throws about 50 ft and the impellor gap is only about 1/8 " or less.....and his machine cost $3300 while mine cost about $800
                        sigpic

Comment

!/4" elevator bolts work better for bolting the rubber to the impeller blades.
                          Mike
                          Ol' Stonebreaker

Comment

Working...
                          X