Water heater making a weird noise....

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey, Just changed the thermal coupler on our water heater and after turning the gas off, getting it back in and going again, it's making a sizzling type noise. Like water dripping on a hot pan or fire. It actually sounds like a slow drip. I don't hear water dripping, but the rhythm or the sizzle noises. Any ideas? could there have been some condensation built up in there while the water heater was off? Or something from shutting off the gas? PG&E is coming over to check a gas valve tomorrow that is rusted open, so I'll ask them, but I'd hate for our house to blow up and burn down tonight. :)

thanks

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: Water heater making a weird noise....

Did you get any water anywhere near the burner or chamber?

ngt

Did you get any water anywhere near the burner or chamber?

Not that I know of. Not sure how I would get water in there changing the coupler. I'm guessing it's been off for a day. Condensation?

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like condensation on the tank dripping down. I have seen tanks "sweat" after being off for a while and it sound like that may be your problem. Still wouldn't hurt to get a flashlight a double check everything. You may not be able to see anything depending on the tank, but it can't hurt to look.Good luck!

ngt

Cool, thanks! that's what I thought.