Sony Grand Wega

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Mine is a KDF-55WF655. It is 7 year old and on its second lamp.

Caution: Murphy has programmed those things to fail on a Friday night before a long, holiday weekend in which the Giants and Cowboys will play for all the division marbles. I will have about 10 descendants here who are really interested in that game.

Yes, it croaked tonight. :eek: :( :facepalm:

SHAZAM!! In a rare flash of brilliant foresight, JB Bought a spare lamp when he replaced the first one. Been sitting on the closet shelf for 4 years. VIOLA!! Change it out and all is well. :)

The purpose of this thread is to strongly recommend keeping a spare lamp if you have a Grand Wega. Mine is Sony XL-2200, but not all Grand Wegas use that same lamp. They are about $250.

cribber

Lieutenant
Re: Sony Grand Wega

Nice save and forethought!!! Time to order two more or think about upgrading in a couple of years.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Why am I seeing a monty python skit being preformed pre and post of finding the spare bulb??? :D

Game on!!

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wow! Thanks canoemang. I was amazed when I went to ebay. The same lamp (light engine) that I paid $250 for four years ago can now be had for as little as $50-60.

This Grand Wega may be 7 years old and obsolete technology, but the performance is flawless. I see no benefit to "upgrading" to add 5" to the screen. It fills my "theater" very well (3rd bedroom. I live alone. :) ).

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! Thanks canoemang. I was amazed when I went to ebay. The same lamp (light engine) that I paid $250 for four years ago can now be had for as little as $50-60.

This Grand Wega may be 7 years old and obsolete technology, but the performance is flawless. I see no benefit to "upgrading" to add 5" to the screen. It fills my "theater" very well (3rd bedroom. I live alone. :) ).

Glad to help.. and i also completely agree about not upgrading yet, i got enough parts to last and my DLP has no staggering and looks great..

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have basically the same Sony TV but the 60" version for my family room Fortunately, the lamp has never failed. My new Sharp 60" LCD which I have in my bedroom that I paid $1100 for blows it away in picture quality. It was good for its time though.