Forest King Log Splitter LCT Engine

64osby

Admiral
Any one have any experience with either Forest King Log Splitter or with a LCT engine.

Menards is running a sale on this unit
http://www.menards.com/main/lawn-ga...22-ton-gas-log-splitter/p-1705000-c-10115.htm

It has a 6.5 HP 208 CC Engine from LCT. Supposed to be a US company making their engines in China.

http://www.lctusa.com/

I don't split a huge amount of wood. In the past I have borrowed my BOL 22 ton and it works great for the wood I split and use.

I know this a Chinese mfg'd unit. I looked it over pretty hard yesterday. Lots of small things that don't match up to Huskee's or like models. But it looked like it might fit my needs and usage.

The sale price is $899 with another $200 rebate, store credit. Final cost would be about $750 after credit. Huskee's or like would be over $1,150. 300 dollar difference.

I'm wondering if there is any known flaws with the LCT motors, or issues getting parts or if any one has experience with the Forest King model.

Thanks for any help. Sale runs thru tomorrow, Sunday.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Forest King Log Splitter LCT Engine

Not a bad price at all. If the motor turns out to be junk, you can always find a Honda or Briggs to replace it. I suggest you go for it.

PS. I found small four stroke motors last a lot... lot longer if you use 1/8 cup of Duralube oil treatment in with the oil.

64osby

Admiral

Not a bad price at all. If the motor turns out to be junk, you can always find a Honda or Briggs to replace it. I suggest you go for it.

PS. I found small four stroke motors last a lot... lot longer if you use 1/8 cup of Duralube oil treatment in with the oil.

The price is why I'm so tempted.

I have never seen the Duralube, I use Lucas Oil as an additive in most my small engines and my wagon. Haven't had a small engine blow yet. One smokes a lot but it is 35 plus years old and never been rebuilt, has over 4000 hours on it.

64osby

Admiral

Update - I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on buying it. The engine was not my real concern. I was really questioning the overall construction and Chinese steel.

I have seen many Overseas products that do not perform well after a year or two. For me this is a long term piece of equipment, not knowing how good the overall construction was really bothered me. It looked ok out of the box. Given the forces that are placed on a splitter I just didn't trust the welds and the unknown grade(s) of steel used to make the unit.

I also could not find one bit of product information or any ratings of the product on the web. Looks like it is new to market product, and I didn't want to be the Guinea Pig.

Dewaynep

Cadet

Just to add to the thread, the LCT engines are a very good engine. Fully ball bearing supported crank, 1000 hour epa emissions rated, etc... Yes, they are made in China but they are an American design. They are their own design (not a clone) and you will be seeing them soon with the Tecumseh Snow King name on them. You are correct in worrying about the rest of the splitter and not the engine.

64osby

Admiral

Update - Tractor Supply is running a sale on Huskee 22 Ton splitters, $999 + govt fees.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/-1032822

Nice unit, B/S 6.5hp, comes assembled and filled with fluids, just the oil would have cost about $40 on the other one, even a little gas in it.

Test run, inspected and sold! Now the fun begins.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You will not be disappointed in that Huskee ^^^^. That is what I run and it is a strong/solid piece of equipment. I have not found a log that it cannot split. They have made a couple of nice improvements since I bought mine too. Yah, there are better splitters out there but at double (or more) the price.

Oh ya, the Huskee is wayyy better than that Forest King you were looking at. Good move leaving that at Menards.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

looks like it has a standard 3/4" side shaft engine.

if it blows just go to harbor freight and get a honda knockoff for $90

64osby

Admiral

looks like it has a standard 3/4" side shaft engine.

Vertical shaft, pump is under the motor bracket.

The only issue I've seen on these engines is the recoil starter wearing out and the mounting tabs for the recoil are a little thin they tend to crack.

It also has a 3 year warranty on the motor so hopefully I have few years before I have to worry about replacing it.

64osby

Admiral

You will not be disappointed in that Huskee ^^^^.

I really like the design of the slide for the splitter over the other models I looked at.

I'm looking forward to using the new toy. I have some 30" plus pieces left over from last year that still need to be popped.

Summer Fun

Banned

Get a pellet stove no mess or hard labor involved. :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Another sign summer is over. :( Good luck with the splitter, 64o. When I was young(er) a maul and wedge did the trick - sorta.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The engine was not my real concern. I was really questioning the overall construction and Chinese steel.
You can question the overall construction but there is nothing wrong with Chinese steel. I've been in the metals industry in a quality control capacity my entire career. The Chinese makes just as good, if not better steel than the US.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You can question the overall construction but there is nothing wrong with Chinese steel. I've been in the metals industry in a quality control capacity my entire career. The Chinese makes just as good, if not better steel than the US.

Yah, it's the parts and build quality that will fail on those really.

Speeco builds the Huskee splitters, good company, good piece of equipment, good price.

http://www.speeco.com/products.php?id=95

bigdee

Commander

Probably just as much Chinese steel and parts on the Husky too. B&S has partnered with a huge Chinese company to manufacture small engines and parts.

64osby

Admiral

I sell products that sometimes contain some Chinese steel. We have a running joke that the products sometimes come prerusted. I have seen this first hand. The sad fact is its a chrome product, not bare or painted.As with any product it is about quality control. Some companys do it better than others. IMO the design of the Huskee is worlds above the Forest King.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I sell products that sometimes contain some Chinese steel. We have a running joke that the products sometimes come prerusted. I have seen this first hand. The sad fact is its a chrome product, not bare or painted.

"Chrome product" mean absolutely nothing. What alloy is it supposed to be? Chrome plated?
If chrome plated, what type of plating is it? Hex-chrome? Tri-Chrome? What is the thickness of the plating?

Your observations are meaningless unless we know what you where looking at. Just because something has chrome doesn?t mean it can't rust. Given he fact that a large repcentage of the products borguh to the US from China arrive via ocean freight, rust on meatal surfaces don't surprise me one bit.

64osby

Admiral

DB - Easy boy, slow down, its the weekend.

1" OD tubing, 14 to 18 gauge depending, type of and thickness plating is unknown, it is just stated as Chrome in the specs.

I do know that I have seen 5 to 40 year old USA product with no rust and 3 month old "new" imported product with rust.

It is marketed as "equal product" to USA mfg's non rusting product and usually sells for much less.

Now back to the subject of the thread.

I had paid for the splitter but I didn't pick it up till today after work. I was looking forward to playing a little tonight, but it started raining pretty hard once I made it home. But there's always tomorrow.

64osby

Admiral

Built a log cradle for it and gave the Huskee a good work out yesterday and today.

I just love the verticle flip for those big nasty pieces.

They have another happy customer, so far.