Xbox says nearly new game disk is unreadable

jkust

Rear Admiral
Ok I'm not a real tech guy but my kids have a 9 month old xbox. A few weeks ago my son's Call of Duty disc quit working so he and his friend decided to rub it down with tooth paste after the machine said the disc was unreadable. Of course given the disc had no scratches it simply destroyed the disc. We replaced it and after maybe 2 weeks of being played, never removed, handled or scratched whatso ever. The xbox slim again is saying the nearly new, perfect condition disc is unreadable. All of their other games play just fine and some of those actually do have scratches. Looking at the disc it is still new and so I can't seem to reconcile what the problem could be. I tried installing the disc on the hard drive which it did after a few tries but the xbox still won't initiate and start the game. I've tried clearing the cache and removing the hard drive with no luck. I'm just at a loss as to what is going on with these Call of Duty discs. Anybody had similar issues?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Xbox says nearly new game disk is unreadable

Disc defective from the get go??
Return it.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Disc defective from the get go??
Return it.

I'd think that but it worked a couple weeks of playing and no human contact with it. When a disk goes bad I always thought you could see damage.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Load it up in your computer and burn a copy on a dvd disk and see if that disk will work. I haven't tried it on newer game disks, but it used to work for my kids games.

lennyb

Seaman Apprentice

make sure you check around the center for any craks coming from the hole (even small ones will cause a no load condition). and also never ever move a xbox with a game still in it in it. If you see no cracks or scratches then i to would just return it. Depending on where you buy your games some stores offer a 1yr no questions asked warrenty.. (trust me ive used the crap out of them before)..

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ask my step daughter,(she's a tchey). X box has this problem, package it up and send in they will rebuild it for free or low charge. She says may take a month but will fix the problem. I hate vidio games myself. Have fun.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it's the console it could be the laser that reads the game. Look in the phone book or on the net for folks that fix them. Shouldn't cost very much at all.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the replies so far. Given that the game has no cracks on the center, and the console hasn't been moved, I have to think the disk has some unseen flaw. I have heard that the new "green" disk holders that the games are packaged with (hard plastic center with not enough give) combined with the high heat inside the unit cause the cracks to the plastic center. Don't think that is my issue here but I get the sense the overall engineering on these things isn't the best. A Call of Duty game is over $60 to replace and frankly buying it once is enough.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just some of them had a recall for a problem, just because it has never been moved doesn't make it ok.

Larry Tate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if its the disk it should be good under 1 yr warranty...if its the system microsoft will have it shipped out and fixed for free (yeah, free) within 4 years of purchase date. it may be out for 4-6 weeks but it will come back ready to rock.