GM Vehicle Paint Delamination/Peeling.....

ehenry

Commander
How many of us here have or have had issues with their GM vehicles paint peeling off and exposing the primer colored finish underneath? I've got a 2003 Z71 thats never been wrecked, never been in a hail storm and garage kept and the paint is flaking off in chunks. Not little gravel dings. I'm talking on the horizontal surface of the hood, the roof and other places on the truck. Granted the truck is 8 years old but I have a 1986 Toyota 4x4 that I bought new, has over 300K miles on it, thats lived out in the weather since I"ve owned it and the only thing wrong with its paint job is that its faded.

Has anyone had any issues with their GM factory paint jobs? I know back in the 90s GM paid to have a number of their vehicles painted.

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: GM Vehicle Paint Delamination/Peeling.....

my 2007 Escalade s losing paint at an alarming rate.

R&DMACHINIST

Seaman

How many of us here have or have had issues with their GM vehicles paint peeling off and exposing the primer colored finish underneath? I've got a 2003 Z71 thats never been wrecked, never been in a hail storm and garage kept and the paint is flaking off in chunks. Not little gravel dings. I'm talking on the horizontal surface of the hood, the roof and other places on the truck. Granted the truck is 12 years old but I have a 1986 Toyota 4x4 that I bought new, has over 300K miles on it, thats lived out in the weather since I"ve owned it and the only thing wrong with its paint job is that its faded.

Has anyone had any issues with their GM factory paint jobs? I know back in the 90s GM paid to have a number of their vehicles painted.

My first truck was a '91 S-10, when I got it it had a spot bout as big as a quarter then it went crazy when it got about as big as a softball I heard about GM fixn cars with this problem so I called them.They told me I was a month to late in calling!:mad:

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

in the early to mid nineties gm had a problem with the water based primer that prevented the top coat from sticking, had not seen or heard of it returning here.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think a lot of the manufacturers had trouble with their paints around that time. I believe that was the start of the low-VOC/water based finishes mandated by the feds.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Every factory automotive paint job after about the mid-80's will peel. All mine have.

I miss enamel.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Toyota as well. NO paint issues after more than 13 years. Actually really never seen anything part from Detroit iron flaking around here (yes, Saabs and Volvos did have issues in the mid 80ies).

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I thought 2003 would be 8 years old? Makes it even worse, but it is a very common issue on many cars now a days..

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have owned several Gm products for many years and yes I have had to deal with it , and GM is not stepping up to fix it , thats the reason I now have a maxima sitting in the driveway and when i retire my S 10 thier will be 2 nissians around

puddle jumper

Captain

I have seen it on most vehicles. I blame it on high psi car washes.

ehenry

Commander

MTboatguy.....thats Mississippi cypherin ! ! ! The truck is 8 years old.

Bubba, the truck is white and looks like crap now that there are gray spots all over the hood and roof.

You would think GM would man up and admit theres a problem but nawp. Funny thing is, you dont see it on every vehicle just certain ones. I know back in the 90s a buddy had a full size chevy truck that he bought used and GM sent out a notice that they would repaint vehicles of certain year models. My buddy got his truck painted and a couple dents fixed for nothing!

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

It's the low VOC primer as mentioned above, all the big three got together to convert over to it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It's the low VOC primer as mentioned above, all the big three got together to convert over to it.
More than that, they were all forced to convert to low VOC paints and primers. Since none of the car companies actually make their own paint, its the paint manufacturers that converted. I am sure GM is pounding on their paint companies as hard as consumers are pounding on them.

The fact that certain models of cars seem to have more problems than others is strange but it is likely that GM has investigated which plants use certain types and brands of paint and under what climate conditions they are applied.

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's not just GM cars and trucks peeling. It's any car/truck manufacturer that used PPG paints back then and PPG did a silent midnight settlement with all the manufacturers which left all owners out in the cold at getting their car/truck repainted out of warranty.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

More than that, they were all forced to convert to low VOC paints and primers. Since none of the car companies actually make their own paint, its the paint manufacturers that converted. I am sure GM is pounding on their paint companies as hard as consumers are pounding on them.

The fact that certain models of cars seem to have more problems than others is strange but it is likely that GM has investigated which plants use certain types and brands of paint and under what climate conditions they are applied.

Man you sure like to argue huh?

At the same time I worked for a powdercoating company and did research for Pratt and Lambert, all this was discussed in many trade mags at the time. In fact it was the first time people from each company were in the same place at the same to due to anti trust laws. There was a huge legal debate just to make it happen.

It was a big deal in the industry and covered very well.

No they don't make the products they apply but they sure spec out what it is..

Is there a point to your arguing or you just bored?

lennyb

Seaman Apprentice

If your car / truck is newer 2007 ^ with under 100k then you may be able to find a dealer in your area that could do a goodwill repair on the paint as part of the corrosion / appearance warrenty (8years / 80,000miles). Keep in mind that this is totally up to the dealership. But every GM dealer is encouraged to keep customers happy and most will do just about what ever it takes to do so (especially if you call the GM cares number and threaten to trade in your GM on a import or never buy another GM product)...

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 2003 Grand AM GT has the paint falling off and chipping all over the entire front around lights and down fog lights.

dolluper

Captain

no uv clear coat
primer >base>clear coat

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

My friend has a 1997 silverado in gold and the paint looks brand new never garage kept