03 silverado blowing cold air on passenger side, hot on driver side...

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer
03 chevy silverado 5.3l v8, blows super cold on passenger side, and super crazy hot on driver side... Ive read somewhere its a really expensive part in the dash, but I dont recall what it is... Does anyone know what the deal is with this? Any help will be great... Thanks...

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 03 silverado blowing cold air on passenger side, hot on driver side...

Two things come to mind. Either the LOGICON, the computer that controls the vent actuator motors is bad (expensive), or one of the actuator motors is bad. Try taking some of the plastic covers of under the dash and observe the vent flapper actuator motors on the passenger and driver side. If one works, but the other doesn't then an actuator motor is bad. If they are both not moving then the LOGICON is bad.

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Well crap, I will check, if it helps , If I change the passenger side (dual climate control) it will blow hot when asked to, and then cold when asked to. Thanks for your help! Driver side hot, all the time either way...

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

where exactly should i be looking, and what am i looking at/for... thanks for your help, ive been sweating my arse off all summer and i cant hardly stand it anymore, as i put $400 into the compressor clutch and freon or whatever just LAST august...

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

That does not sound promising... :(

RogersJetboat454

Commander

where exactly should i be looking, and what am i looking at/for... thanks for your help, ive been sweating my arse off all summer and i cant hardly stand it anymore, as i put $400 into the compressor clutch and freon or whatever just LAST august...

Left side bottom of the HVAC case, there is a boxy looking thing shaped almost like home base with wires coming out of it. That would be your left side blend door actuator motor. While going back and forth from cold to hot on the drivers side climate control see if you can see that motor working (should have the shaft that actuates the blend door sticking through it). If it's not working, then pull the motor off, and see if you can manually move the blend door shaft by hand. If you can, the motor may be toast.

Best thing to do is have some one that has a scan tool capable of pulling B codes (body control) hook up to the truck to see if any codes are stored. There are specific codes dedicated to individual climate control component failures.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

It's the AC blend actuator; control for the driver's side vent. Same thing happened on my 04 H2. Should be the same system layout. Part was $120 and took the tech 20 minutes to replace, but I think it's actually located on the passenger side, near the floor (at least mine was).

dolluper

Captain

Sounds like the the actuator door gear+ spring has popped off common problem on chevys....its behind the radio....best to take out glove box to confirm the gears are not lined up....if it is not lined up take off centre consuel ,radio out,control unit hanging still electricaly hooked up, to access it easy......then put control on COLD match up the gears ,you have to push hard so make sure the gears line up and clip the little spring over after the gear snaps down in place.....with it in place test for cold air at vent now...then reassemble....this is only assuming the gears are fine and not broken or that the spring is missing Only one side blowing can also be a cabin air filter plugged up

Last edited:

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks... Ill check that one this evening...

FarmerSid

Seaman Apprentice

Have you disconnected your battery lately? This has happened to my 04 2500 4X4 GMC after or recently after having the battery unhooked. Try turning all the AC and heat controls off and then unhooking your battery for a few hrs or overnight. The system will do a relearn of the position of the blend door and correct itself. You may have a bad actuator but this is a free fix you can do yourself if this is all it needs.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There is a TSB about this. You might need to get the Body control module re-flashed if everything checks ok