GE range switch is smoking!

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, hoping somebody knows something about electric ranges. Yesterday while my girlfriend and I were cooking supper, I started hearing a slight sparking/arcing sound coming from behind the stove. It would just do it every now and then and I didn't see or smell any smoke when I slid the stove away from the wall. So I pulled it out today and took the back panel off and after going through each of the thermostat knobs (??) for each cooking element, I found that the left rear one was causing the sparks and even a little bit of smoke. I guess the switch must just be making a bad connection when the thermostat closes and opens controlling the element. I really don't know how these things work though...

I took a short video to show yall what exactly it is doing. Notice at the end of the video it lights up with sparks for a couple seconds and then a nice little puff of white smoke. I hope the video isn't too jittery, I was in an awkward position.

[video]http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n533/dccordell/?action=view&current=f2274ca4.mp4[/video]

So do we just need a new switch (thermostat?) for that element? I notice that the other switches do the same thing but they only do it for a split second and not nearly as bright, not noticeable at all.

Thanks for any help...

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: GE range switch is smoking!

Google GE stove repair and you'll come up with some drawings that will tell you what the electrical system looks like. If you're not sure what the parts are and you've never done this before, you're really better off "calling the guy". You should trip the breaker until you get it fixed or everytime the stove is unattended. This is something that could arc and spark in the middle of the night and burn the house down around you.

foodfisher

Captain

Big, hair curling electricity there. Better safe than curly.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies.. I'm not an "electrician", but I've done my share of home wiring projects (and now boat wiring projects!), but I just wasn't sure about the stovetop switches. Went to google and found that the switch that needs replacing is called an "infinite switch" for around $18. Super easy to install, even found a youtube video of the process. Apparently the contacts inside will go bad after a while and not fully close when they should. But for now, as suggested, we're keeping the breaker off until we get the switch in, just to be safe. :)

236754-2-M-GE-WB24T10029-Surface-Burner-Switch-6-1500W.jpg