how to check fluid level for ford backhoe

dirt2dollars

Recruit
can't find fluid check level for my ford backhoe 4500.... it hesitates going into forward and reverse.... i have changed filter but can't figure out how to check fluid level

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: how to check fluid level for ford backhoe

If I remember right ??. There should be a dipstick near or under the seat.

Its been along time since I ran one of those.

PS, Welcome to iboats. :)

mscher

Lieutenant

I have recently aquired a 4500 hoe, but it has the four speed manual, so I did not pay much attention to the hydro instruction, in the user guide, which is at the shop.

There are many vintage tractor discussion forums, that will help you, including ssbtractor.com

Here is the info you need from yesterdays tractors

The first thing to check is the fluid level in the transmission, if that is ok then check the transmission pump pressure. There is a check plug on the bottom of the transmission, it should be in a square plate on the bottom or you may have to remove the plate to get to the test plug, if I remember correctly it is 1/8 pipe thread. Pressure should be around 150-200 psi. If you don't have any pressure at all then you need to dig deeper to find the problem, broken torque converter flex plate damaged pump, etc.

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ford&th=343056>

The 4500 backhoe, is an absolute beast. My brother and I have been getting a 67' back into operational shape, needing only minor repairs. Can't wait to start digging.

good luck

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

There "might" be a plate that needs to be unbolted to get to the dipstick. I have encountered those before........

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

There "might" be a plate that needs to be unbolted to get to the dipstick. I have encountered those before........

Yeh, held on by 4 rounded off, 30 years of rust and crust bolts. Been there and got the t-shirt. lol

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Most the 4500's are trenching beasts because at one time or another they've had to have hydraulic pump repairs. When fixed, mechanics have a tendency to kick up the pressures. That's why they dig so well. It's also why their backhoe booms have welds all over them.

On the other hand, finding forward/neutral/reverse is hard to find. Their shifters never had a "gate".

Warning: They're pretty hazardous to drive on a trailer because they're a bastard unbalanced design of an industrial tractor. Chances are you'll have to steer the backhoe with the brakes, as the front wheels will be in the air. You've got to use the hoebucket to keep the front end down as much as possible.

You cannot kill an old Ford TLB.