sway

bigdaddy08302

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im having a problem with sway while towing my camper. I have had it for several years and never had this happen before. Two axle trailer with sway bar. Over the years it would very rarely sway just a bit here and there..nothing scary. Last time I took it out it was swaying like mad trying to pull the back of my truck off the highway...intesnse swaying...no truck passing me or high winds. Any idea what could be going on with it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ted

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: sway

I would check the brakes, bearings, and proper equal tire pressures. Inspect the springs for missing hardware or loose bolts.

dolluper

Captain

Improper hitch ball height {vehicle and camper not level} or too much weight at the back of the camper {move heavier items towards the front of camper}increase tongue weight

bigdaddy08302

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks...I will try these ideas...I was very nervous last camping trip.

Splat

Lieutenant

Sounds like to little tongue weight to me. But also take the time and inspect your components.

Bill

rbh

Fleet Admiral

You do have those sway bars torqued right up, don't ya??

(if I remember right and I hope I do, trailer is on the ball, locked down but not all the weight is on it.
Sway bars are sinched down tight, then the full weight is applied to the ball/hitch.)

And grease the sway bars pivot points, ball included.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Definite weight balance issue. Your tongue weight should be about 10% of the gross trailer weight. (experts say between 9 and 15%).

It is easy enough to figure if you can find an un-open public scale, the scales are usually still active and you can see your weights on the digital readout.. Drive the trailer onto the scale and unhook it from the car. Write down the weight. Then roll the trailer wheels back off the scale and weigh the tongue weight alone.

To vary the tongue weight you can either change the loading of the trailer OR move the axle (in your case, backward.

You can also vary the loading but once you get the bare trailer set up correctly, loading over the top of the axle is the best way to mantain your proper balance. That way if your load varies it will not change your balance.

foodfisher

Captain

If your gray and black water tanks are aft and your freshwater tank is forward, I'll bet the swaying occured on the way home. Empty the holding tanks asap after camping.