Ignition point gap?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
In the absence of a manual, what might be a safe generic point gap setting. This is for a 12 v, 4 cylinder industrial flathead engine in a 1962 Hyster Forklift.

Currently, with a relatively new set of points installed by a 'professional', I cannot even slide an .011 business card between the points. This might account for why it is hard to start.

I checked the plugs. (this is a propane fired unit) and they were clean. I widened the plug gap from about .025 to .034 and it finally started right up.

I am actually in the process of installing a Pertronix Ignitor but I will save the points and want to know how to set them up should the need arise in the future.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Ignition point gap?

Business card!! I used to use a matchbook cover which was over twice as thick. I was going to say start at .030.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I was going to suggest .035, but it sounds like you stumbled upon it yourself, run it for a while at that setting then check the points to check for pitting and burning.

j_martin

Admiral

Not knowing the distributor, I'd set the rub block down on the cam at a low spot, turn it to a high spot, measure the gap, then set it to 1/2 of that, or .010" less than the throw if the total throw is less than .035"

Jeep 4 banger is .020 (from memory)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

+1 on the match book point gap thing, paper match thickness on the plug gap.

Holy crap, I am a child of the 60's!! :eek:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hmmmm? I rounded up two match books. One was from Los Angeles, the other from a hotel in Mexico. The LA book measured .008 thick, the Mexican book measured .012 thick.

As it has been decades since they gave you a match book when you bought a pack of ciggies from a vending machine, I think they have gotten thinner. But at least the Mexican one was thicker than the business card I tried to insert between the points.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

In the absence of a manual, what might be a safe generic point gap setting. This is for a 12 v, 4 cylinder industrial flathead engine in a 1962 Hyster Forklift.

Currently, with a relatively new set of points installed by a 'professional', I cannot even slide an .011 business card between the points. This might account for why it is hard to start.

I checked the plugs. (this is a propane fired unit) and they were clean. I widened the plug gap from about .025 to .034 and it finally started right up.

I am actually in the process of installing a Pertronix Ignitor but I will save the points and want to know how to set them up should the need arise in the future.

You might be further ahead using dwell angle ~ 52-58 degrees.

"A tachometer/dwell meter is very useful for the tune-up procedure. The six (6) cylinder engines should be set for 35 degrees of dwell angle and the four (4) cylinder engines should be set for 55 degrees of dwell angle. If necessary, readjust the points to achieve this dwell angle. Accelerate the engine up and down quickly. If the dwell angle varies more than four (4) degrees for the six (6) cylinder engines or six (6) degrees for the four (4) cylinder engines, change the points. This test indicates a weak point spring."

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had an old guy tell me once that for a base line set points at half of what the plug gap was. I don't know how true that is but that man could make an old car purr

dwco5051

Commander

I had an old guy tell me once that for a base line set points at half of what the plug gap was. I don't know how true that is but that man could make an old car purr

Heard that often 50 or so years ago. The other rule was set the points with a matchbook cover and the plugs with a worn dime. Thought it was really neat when I got my first dwell meter and could set points with an allen wrench on those old GM distributors.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I just find it great to actually be in the company of people who know what points are!

:p

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Set with a dwell meter like Tim said. Around 60 degrees for a 4 cylinder engine.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I have a near virgin Sears Engine Analyser that my mother bought my dad back in the '60's. It has a wide sweeping analog display that has umpteen different levels of functions displayed. There are also just as many different buttons, levers and switches so that you know which function you want to read on this sweeping arc.

I'm sure that there is a function on it to read dwell. However, my gap question started out to supply future knowledge should I have to re-install the points.

I am in the process of installing a Pertronix Ignitor on this old forklift to make it easier to start after sitting idle for weeks at a time, in a cold damp storage environment.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

I just find it great to actually be in the company of people who know what points are!

x2 Anybody remember the trick of loading a condensor with a charge and playing catch? Here catch...

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal, my only question is: if you have calipers or micrometers to measure the thickness of various types of paper, why don't you have feeler gauges?
Mike

achris

More fish than mountain goat

x2 Anybody remember the trick of loading a condensor with a charge and playing catch? Here catch...

I remember that game! Or putting a electrolytic capacitor across a power socket. When someone turned the power on the cap would either explode or release copious quantities of acrid smoke.... Fun days.... HSE have killed those games...:redface:

If it is a Continental:
F-4140 and F-4162
firing order 1342 plug gap .025 breaker gap .022 timing 9 btdc@flywheel valve clearance hot .014 intake and exhaust.
F-4140 bore3 3/16 stroke4 3/8 comp6.99 140 cu in piston displ.
F-4162 bore3 7/16 stroke4 3/8 comp7.02 162 cu in piston displacement
4 quarts oil
oil press 35-40
F-4140 52 brake hp @3200 rpm .lb ft torque 108 @ 1600
F- 4162 58 " " @ " rpm. " " " 122 @ "

HTH,

Chris.........

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Boomyal, my only question is: if you have calipers or micrometers to measure the thickness of various types of paper, why don't you have feeler gauges?
Mike

Fair question mla2ofus:D 'cause the forklift is in a 40 ft container, about 5 mi's from my tool suppy, in my garage. As it was, I loaded a whole box of different tools when I set out on this project, just that a feeler guage was not amongst them.

I carry a digital vernier in my van.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I remember that game! Or putting a electrolytic capacitor across a power socket. When someone turned the power on the cap would either explode or release copious quantities of acrid smoke.... Fun days.... HSE have killed those games...:redface:

If it is a Continental:
F-4140 and F-4162
firing order 1342 plug gap .025 breaker gap .022 timing 9 btdc@flywheel valve clearance hot .014 intake and exhaust.
F-4140 bore3 3/16 stroke4 3/8 comp6.99 140 cu in piston displ.
F-4162 bore3 7/16 stroke4 3/8 comp7.02 162 cu in piston displacement
4 quarts oil
oil press 35-40
F-4140 52 brake hp @3200 rpm .lb ft torque 108 @ 1600
F- 4162 58 " " @ " rpm. " " " 122 @ "

HTH,

Chris.........

Thanks Chris. It has everything but the plug gap. They looked pretty puny when I pulled them. Considering that I am installing a Pertronix Ignitor, I set them at .034. Just a guess, however.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Thanks Chris. It has everything but the plug gap. They looked pretty puny when I pulled them. Considering that I am installing a Pertronix Ignitor, I set them at .034. Just a guess, however.

Yeah, sorry I missed that too.... Had to re-read it a few times before I saw it....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hmmmmmm so which is vintage????? Us or the points!!! :D