How can I fix the jumpy video on my PC?

jkust

Rear Admiral
So for some unknown reason any video no matter the quality is very shaky on one of my laptop PC's. A you tube video, for example, will play every several frames and be very jumpy and trying to watch a video on say Netflix will just lock up at the very first frame and only play sound. A video game depending on which one it is will be from shaky to unplayable. The pc is a 4 year old Acer, single core, that got a virus several years back. The solution was to wipe the hard drive clean, reinstall Windows XP and get all the drivers from the Acer site for this specific model. Ever since reinstalling XP and all the other utilities/drivers it won't play videos like it used to. The hard drive is essentially empty beyond the OS and it has a gig of ram. It is an extra laptop and I want to dedicate it to the media room tv to watch netflix but found that is impossible given the issues. None of the hardware show's problems in the device manager. So far every pc problem I've had has gotten its solution from you guys so I'm hoping you might have some suggestions.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: How can I fix the jumpy video on my PC?

You might check your internet connection, I know I was doing fine and then all of a sudden could not play any videos, found out my service provider had backed down my speed from what I was actually paying for, after a long conversation that involved many not so nice words, we were able to get it worked out with a couple of months free and now I can watch videos again..

jkust

Rear Admiral

You might check your internet connection, I know I was doing fine and then all of a sudden could not play any videos, found out my service provider had backed down my speed from what I was actually paying for, after a long conversation that involved many not so nice words, we were able to get it worked out with a couple of months free and now I can watch videos again..

Thanks. I think I can rule that one out. I have other PC's on the same connection that are fine and the network speed test passes too. When I plug the pc directly in, instead of wireless, we get the same result and even software based video games are a no go.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Since it is a laptop (aka mobile ;)) have you brought it to other internet connections and tried it out? That might eliminate a factor or help with the diagnosis.

Hmm I answered late.

Well it could be the video card....... have to tried to see if there is an updated driver for the card.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

You might need to update your video player, I would do a Microsoft update to check and see if there is anything newer. I run acers and have found out, even installing the Acer drivers and stuff from their website, I have to do a windows update to get things working right, what model of acer is it, I run one that is about 5 years old and have had to jump through hoops at times to get things working right and I have a brand new machine that don't ever work right due to hardward/driver problems..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I will go away now and sit over here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> X

If you need me ask.... LOL seems like we are all thinking alike :D

PopsRacer

Seaman

In addition to the above suggestions, are you running a Hardwired or Wireless LAN connection?? Do you have any Software Firewalls or more than one AntiVirus running?? Have you updated your plugins like Java and FlashPlayer??

j_martin

Admiral

One I've run into lately is Microsoft Security Essentials getting installed (perhaps in response to a trouble call) over another virus scanner. Result ain't pretty, and looks like bad hardware.

Removing the Microsoft bone fixes it.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Since it is a laptop (aka mobile ;)) have you brought it to other internet connections and tried it out? That might eliminate a factor or help with the diagnosis.

Hmm I answered late.

Well it could be the video card....... have to tried to see if there is an updated driver for the card.

I'm not sure which card I have but the driver was from 2007. I haven't tried bringing it to another connection but even software based video games do this too. I'll bring it to work and try the wireless there however.

You might need to update your video player, I would do a Microsoft update to check and see if there is anything newer. I run acers and have found out, even installing the Acer drivers and stuff from their website, I have to do a windows update to get things working right, what model of acer is it, I run one that is about 5 years old and have had to jump through hoops at times to get things working right and I have a brand new machine that don't ever work right due to hardward/driver problems..

Good call. I have it set to auto update but will take another look.

In addition to the above suggestions, are you running a Hardwired or Wireless LAN connection?? Do you have any Software Firewalls or more than one AntiVirus running?? Have you updated your plugins like Java and FlashPlayer??

Flashplayer did an auto update when I tried to run netflix to no avail, but i'm not sure how I'd go about updating Java or plugins. I run wireless but have tried pluging directly in without any change. I have only Microsoft secrurity essentials antivirus running. I have the standard windows firewall running as well.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Doing your updates, remember, there are critical updates and there are optional updates, so even with auto update, sometimes you will not get a update automatically, you will have to approve the updates, if I remember correctly, the video player is an optional update, also, does netflix have its own video player? I am not a subscriber to netflix, so really don't know..but might be something to check.

Another thing to check, look at the properties of your video card, and check the video acceleration slider bar, sometimes you have to play with that to get things working right.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Hmm I answered late.

Doing your updates, remember, there are critical updates and there are optional updates, so even with auto update, sometimes you will not get a update automatically, you will have to approve the updates, if I remember correctly, the video player is an optional update, also, does netflix have its own video player? I am not a subscriber to netflix, so really don't know..but might be something to check.

Another thing to check, look at the properties of your video card, and check the video acceleration slider bar, sometimes you have to play with that to get things working right.

You know we're new to the whole online only (no dvd option) Netflix experience so I can't really answer that. I'll take a look but don't recall any slider bars in the driver. By the way, Netlix streaming content is mediocre at best but because we won't pay for cable tv (one of my few conservative hold outs/money savers) all the content that cable subscribers think is old is new to us. Netflix and the other online services answered my wish to actually have non-network HD content for not much $. The movies range from a couple A grade movies to a lot of "c" grade stuff with actors you've never heard of. All the tv content is old.

scipper77

Commander

I'd bet you have something eating you memory up. ctrl+alt+del And go into the task manager. Google every process you see running. Stop anything that you can like google toolbar or itunes etc... This will free up some memory. Try playing video's now and see if it's any better. If it is you were low on system resources and you need to find out why!!

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are two different problems I can think of - network connection slow or computer not able to keep up.

You mention that the other computers seem to work, but not if the others were hard wired to your router vs. the laptop being on wi-fi. If the laptop is on wi-fi and the others on wired it would pay to wire up the laptop (disable the wi-fi) and test.

The other reason is the laptop not being able to keep up. Second on the use of task manager. First 2 things to look at are utilization of the CPU and memory. CPU should not be at 100% of course. You also need to compare the memory in use vs. the memory in your laptop. Over the years you get a lot of garbage installed and running on your computer that can suck up all your memory.

If it is memory you can either look to what you don't need running or buy more memory. Memory is cheap. One way to check what is running is with a program like SpyBot S&D in advanced mode. It can tell you what is running and disable it if you don't need it. (You would be suprised.)

As others have said you might also have some antivirus software running that is causing problems. If you find nothing else try going in and disabling your antivirus software to test.

And as others have suggested you can check the video driver, although I don't think that will be where you find the problem.