GE Side-by-Side refrig/freezer question

aspeck

Staff member
Have a 7 year old GE side-by-side. The other day the ice maker and water dispenser stopped working. It has done this before when I waited too long to change the filter. I needed to order new filters, so I did and while I waited for them to arrive, the ice maker began working, but the water dispenser did not.

Got the new filters, and still no water dispensing. Any ideas????

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: GE Side-by-Side refrig/freezer question

What kind of water? I have a real calcium problem here since there is so much marble in the ground and mountains. On many occasions I have had to soak faucets in vinegar and I even put a dose of vinegar through my ice maker and dispenser...... tedious and time consuming but it did clear the calcium and restored the flow.

OR........

Buy one of those brand new side by sides!!!! :eek:

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When our ancient refrigerator stopped making ice...my nephew cleaned out a filter. It still didn't make ice well, but it was better.

When, a month or so later, The freezer part was only making mush instead of ice, we called a guy out. He said that the compressor was on its way out. Since the unit was 13 yrs old, we replaced the refrigerator.

If you are still getting rock hard ice cream...then ignore this post. Rich

aspeck

Staff member

City water, and no problem with the ice ... just the water dispenser.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

City water, and no problem with the ice ... just the water dispenser.

Well if you have water to the ice maker, and none to the water dispenser, it would only stand to reason, the valve in the door is blocked, have you taken it apart to see what is holding the water up? They both feed off the same source.

dvandsm64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

our side by side used to do the same thing. after unfreezing lines,a couple thermostats,etc... we found the door itself had faulty insulation allowing the lines in the door to freeze solid thus no water. we ended up getting a new door its been fine for @ 3 yrs. now