Cooling fan bypass switch on arctic cat 4wheeler

KRS

Banned
Good evening,

Wondering if anyone else has had trouble with their oil-cooled arctic cat 4wheeler's cooling fan not coming on?

Is a bypass toggle switch on the handlebars the best option?

It's a 2003, 400i, 4x4

Thank you,

KRS

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cooling fan bypass switch on arctic cat 4wheeler

Ironically the only time my cooling fan on my Kodiak comes on is during the winter when I have been plowing heavy snow, I have never had it come on during the rest of the year and I have never had a over heating problem..

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

The fans don't run very often on the AC 400's. Is the temp light on?

KRS

Banned

Temp light not on, but wondering if it's functioning.

Here in Southern Arizona, the bike gets very very hot to sit on.

KRS

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Temp light not on, but wondering if it's functioning.

Here in Southern Arizona, the bike gets very very hot to sit on.

KRS

Is it an automatic or manual shift?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Even here in the summer, mine gets hot to sit on when the sun is out, but I have never found that to be indicative of how warm the engine is running...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Test the relay first and see if you can get the fan to come on. Most of the time the relay under the seat goes bad but it is still good to check and make sure it is not the fan.

KRS

Banned

Automatic, the constant speed transmission type.

The surface isn't hot, the engine is very hot and burns the inside of my legs.

Didn't think of a relay, I checked the fuse but I'll search for a relay. Good idea.

KRS

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Automatic, the constant speed transmission type.

The surface isn't hot, the engine is very hot and burns the inside of my legs.

Didn't think of a relay, I checked the fuse but I'll search for a relay. Good idea.

KRS

The 400's seemed pretty hot with the 02-05 body work. The 06-08's where better with the side covers they put on them.

Your AC has 2 sensors both are near the oil filter (if my memory is working). One controls the light, the other is the fan.

The relay hardly ever fail (or at least they don't on the 400's). Fuses do blow, but mostly when the fan is running and you drop the ATV in a mud hole. The fan spinning gets restricted with water/mud and pops the fuse.

If you have a problem, the mostlikely cause will be the sensor. But since you haven't seen a heat light, I doubt you have a problem.

A couple tips for you... even if you don't ride in mud, wash out the oil cooler every ride. Dust can make them run hot, so wash it out gently with a hose. Also, use Arctic Cat's ACX synthetic oil in the engine (they do run cooler with that oil) and the Arctic Cat differentials really like the Mobil 1 75W140 (but don't over fill them, the correct level is 1 inch below the filler hole).

KRS

Banned

Thank you for the arctic cat specific info, that's what I'm looking for :)

I saw the two devices on the front of the engine near the oil filter, figured one was the switch / sensor (I figured it was a combo) and thought the other was a crank sensor or some such thing.

Any test procedure for the switch and the sensor? Wonder if I can put an ohmmeter on it and check?

I'll pull the bike into the kitchen and get into it on Saturday.

KRS

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you for the arctic cat specific info, that's what I'm looking for :)

I saw the two devices on the front of the engine near the oil filter, figured one was the switch / sensor (I figured it was a combo) and thought the other was a crank sensor or some such thing.

Any test procedure for the switch and the sensor? Wonder if I can put an ohmmeter on it and check?

I'll pull the bike into the kitchen and get into it on Saturday.

KRS

The switch can be tested, but I believe it has to be tested hot (I can check tomorrow if you really need me to). If your heat light hasn't come on, then you don't have a problem.

Those 400's produce a lot of heat and you really don't want the fan to run if your legs are already cooking, the fan will just push more hot air at your legs. The excessive heat is the biggest complaint on the 400's. The exhaust is on the left and the belt drive is on the right.... the belt drive puts off almost as much heat as the exhaust.

Your best bet is to use the synthetic oil and wear pants when riding. :) And wear some decent boots too, I've burnt the crap out of my ankle once with tennis shoes on.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

And one other tip... on the 400's, you can remove the inner fenders to allow a little more air flow. It won't hurt anything to leave them off, the newer body style didn't even come with them.

KRS

Banned

Inner fenders..?.... let me have a second look.

I will try the synthetic oil.

Thanks for the advice, didn't know about the belt drive (are you an arctic cat technician or informed enthusiast?).

Thank you,

KRS

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Inner fenders..?.... let me have a second look.

Yep... they should be held on with 2 torx screws (t-30 bit) and 2 zip ties. Someone may have already removed them.

Thanks for the advice, didn't know about the belt drive (are you an arctic cat technician or informed enthusiast?).

I'm a manager at the largest Arctic Cat ATV/Prowler dealership in Indiana. :)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Morning guy's :)
Just thinking out loud, don't jump down my throat. ;)
If you pulled the wire/wires off the switch and closed the circuit, the fan should come on, right ????
And if you take the switch out and put you multimeter across the pole to chassis or between the two poles it should show an open when cold, and if you carefully heated the end the switch, it should show closed circuit, right???

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Morning guy's :)
Just thinking out loud, don't jump down my throat. ;)
If you pulled the wire/wires off the switch and closed the circuit, the fan should come on, right ????
And if you take the switch out and put you multimeter across the pole to chassis or between the two poles it should show an open when cold, and if you carefully heated the end the switch, it should show closed circuit, right???

Good morning to you too.

I pulled the book to see the procedure. Yes, you can pull the temp switch wires and loop them together to make the fan turn on. The switch closes when the oil gets hot enough and opens when it cools. The switch closes at 320 degree's and opens back up at 284 degree's. This is why you rarely hear the fan run on the 400's... the oil doesn't get that hot as long as you have good air flow across the cooler.

KRS

Banned

I'm a manager at the largest Arctic Cat ATV/Prowler dealership in Indiana. :)

:)

I want to pull it into the kitchen tonight, but no-go, she's not that understanding, it'll have to wait until Saturday.

KRS

Banned

Just measured the sliding glass door... no go.

Going to have to setup a light and do this outside.

KRS

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Just measured the sliding glass door... no go.

Going to have to setup a light and do this outside.

KRS

Those AC's are right at 47.5 inches... you'll need a big door if your bringing it inside. :D