Graphics driver crashing. (Fixed)

Bifflefan

Commander
My older Acer 5100 running Vista and ATI Radeon xpress 1100 with the latest updates.

The video driver crashes when running hulu in full screen, as long as it not in full screen it runs fine.
I belive it started when the newest version of the flash player that hulu uses (cant remember what it is) had a new update a while back. I know I had to update the graphics driver after that just to get it to work.

Any one that can explain a fix for this to a non-techy?

Please leave the Vista bashing at the door. I have had it since it came out and this it the first time I have had any problems.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Graphics driver crashing

Ok, my $.02
1) How are the fans? Is it overheating?
2) Turning down hardware acceleration in the video setting is a tactic that usually deals with these types of issues.
3) Report the problem to ATI support forum.

Try those ideas and let us know what you found. If no one else runs with this, I'll be back.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Well, me trying to find an answer caused a bit of an issue.
I used Google to search for "Acer 5100 video driver crashing", hit on a link, and it went to a site that immediately re-directed me and downloaded a virus.
Bummer.
Two malwarebytes scan later, and I'm clean of the spyware.passwords trojan.

Short answer to your question: Discover which exact video chipset that the laptop is using (ATI I think), go to the ATI (or nVidea or Intel) website directly, and download the latest driver.

And DON'T go to the planetamd64.com site, at least not the link that Google provided.....

Bifflefan

Commander

Ok, my $.02
1) How are the fans? Is it overheating?
2) Turning down hardware acceleration in the video setting is a tactic that usually deals with these types of issues.
3) Report the problem to ATI support forum.

Try those ideas and let us know what you found. If no one else runs with this, I'll be back.

1. Fans are fine. Recently had it apart and cleaned the fuze out. It runs much cooler since.
2. Huh??? How do you do that?
3. Ill try that if i cant find something soon.

Well, me trying to find an answer caused a bit of an issue.
I used Google to search for "Acer 5100 video driver crashing", hit on a link, and it went to a site that immediately re-directed me and downloaded a virus.
Bummer.
Two malwarebytes scan later, and I'm clean of the spyware.passwords trojan.

Short answer to your question: Discover which exact video chipset that the laptop is using (ATI I think), go to the ATI (or nVidea or Intel) website directly, and download the latest driver.

And DON'T go to the planetamd64.com site, at least not the link that Google provided.....

I have the lastest driver as of a couple weeks ago.
Sorry man,,, I hate it when that happens..

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

In XP and older versions it works like this;
Turning down video hardware acceleration
Right click on your desktop and select the following in sequence.
Settings, advanced, adapter, troubleshoot.
Try some of the lower settings for hardware acceleration. See how things go. If they go well then maybe turn it up another notch. You may of may not be able to detect the decrease in performance depending on how you use your PC.
How old is this video card?

Bifflefan

Commander

Well, I got it fixed. And I did it...:eek:

I had to go to ACER and get the driver I needed, the one that auto-updated from ATI was causing it to crash.

So this what I look like when Im happy...:D:D:D

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Cool, glad it's fixed. One last question. What the heck is hulu?