Why don't they make new trucks with manual transmissions anymore?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Why don't they make new trucks with manual transmissions anymore?

after 6 months of driving my manual ranger, i shifted without even thinking about it. I could even talk on the phone at the same time. And i drove in bumper to bumper traffic every morning and afternoon. You just get used to it and it is no big deal.

I think people don't like diesels just beacuse of the smell they give off.

waterinthefuel

Commander

you say it is their choice what hey they bring to market, but if i build my own truck on their website, they are guaranteed to sell that truck. they are building that truck personally for me.

You and the four other people that want a manual trans. It just doesn't pay for them to do all the R&D, build parts, stock them, and then have very few sales.

I have nothing against them, I have and drive both, but for 98% of what they get used for an auto is much nicer to drive.
Well, count me as number 5. The only 4 wheel vehicle I own is a standard and I want nothing else. I would definitely opt for the manual tranny. It's cheaper, much more reliable, and is better for towing. It doesn't require a transmission cooler or any maintenance other than maybe a clutch and throwout bearing at 200k miles.

If automatics are better, why do sports cars come with standards?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

All these questions about what options are for sale with different models.

If a manual trans would sell well it would be an option on every model, the manufacturer doesn't care what they sell you if its profitable.

People buy sports cars for different purposes than they do a truck, so its an option or standard on those models.

If you desire something that most others don't, it just means you have less of a chance of it being built.

It also goes back to your vote not counting if you don't buy new, the designers and builders don't care at all about what the second or third owner desires.

New buyers tend to want a bunch of possibly non essential fluff on a truck and that includes an automatic, it has nothing to do with what might possibly be "the best" for a small minority of used vehicle buyers. So that's what's on the market.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong in why you want a manual trans, just the reasons why you'll have a tough time finding them on some models.

waterinthefuel

Commander

All these questions about what options are for sale with different models.

If a manual trans would sell well it would be an option on every model, the manufacturer doesn't care what they sell you if its profitable.

People buy sports cars for different purposes than they do a truck, so its an option or standard on those models.

If you desire something that most others don't, it just means you have less of a chance of it being built.

It also goes back to your vote not counting if you don't buy new, the designers and builders don't care at all about what the second or third owner desires.

New buyers tend to want a bunch of possibly non essential fluff on a truck and that includes an automatic, it has nothing to do with what might possibly be "the best" for a small minority of used vehicle buyers. So that's what's on the market.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong in why you want a manual trans, just the reasons why you'll have tough time finding them on some models.

I don't know who you're referring to when you speak of "your vote not counting when you don't buy new." I did buy new, my truck was bought brand new in 1997 WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION. Neither vehicle I own was bought used, both were bought brand new. No one mentioned of what a 2nd or 3rd owner, for some reason you assumed I bought my vehicles used. I didn't so I am a new car buyer so my vote should count, even according to you.

And I do think that car manufacturers better worry about what the next buyer wants because that will be a concern of a new car buyer, if later down the road, they wont be able to sell their car, they won't buy from that manufacturer. So it's kinda like "trickle up" economics, where the new car buyer better worry about what the person he wants to sell it to later wants otherwise he may eat that vehicle at a substantial loss.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

My response was not targeting you, you aren't the only one in this conversation and if you bought new, then your vote did count. You bought in 1997, many trends have changed in the last 13 years.

I've had 9 new vehicles in the last 12 years, only one was a stick, an F150 at a low ball price and it was fine, I liked it.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Trucks aren't the only vehicles where manuals are disappearing. Many times the most powerful engine in the option list for sedans comes only with an auto. Maybe you can get a manual with the wheezer base motor, but that's often where it ends. Too bad - I prefer stirring the gears myself - and even rarer, so does the wife. She can smack em through the gates as well and any friend of mine.

It's definitely a case of majority rules though. As has been stated before, the automakers build what people want (for the most part). If 95 percent of people hitting the dealerships started demanding dinosaur hood ornaments made out of doggie poop - all manufacturers would be tripping over each other to offer them on every model.

I used to agree manuals had better mileage but that too is becoming a rule of the past. With the advent of six and even seven speed auto trannies, very often your highway revs with an auto are far lower than with the final drive ratio of a manual.

It would be hard to convince me though that an auto is more robust than a manual transmission - just can't wrap my head around that one.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

One big reason they've went to mostly automatics is the traction control & stability control is a lot easier to manage with an automatic.

mscher

Lieutenant

Answer - For the same reason they don't sell vehicles with roll-up windows and manual locks - Profit$.

People don't want to buy them because they like the comfort, plus resale and trade-in value on plain-Jane vehices stinks.

If buyers really wanted manuals, the munafacturers would produce them - they don't so they won't!

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do not even want to get started on power stuff.I always say.Power windows,power door locks,power seats.POWER FAILURE.I did do a little looking at Japanese models and it appears they are a little more pro manual trans than the US makers...I would definitley pay more for a plain Jane truck with a manual trans and everything else manual too...Maybe I am strange?

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

i had a manual in my last f150. plain jane truck except stepside bed. when I bought it everyone joshed about the truck how it was stupid to buy it because i would never be able to sell it.
i traded it in and got much more then it booked for, (against an X plan priced truck that was replacing it). the dealer had a waiting list for that truck. when i dropped it off the new owner signed papers on it while I was still there.
The Jeep I have now, I had to wait 6 months for it to come in because I ordered it without power anything and it has a manual trans oh and no A/C. I haven't figured out yet why anyone would want a Wrangler with A/C. Funny thing is I have had a few people already ask if I want to sell it. Seems they can't find one like it one the floor.

it does just fine with the traction control in a standard trans.

the market for standards is definitely going away. how many kids today can't drive stick? Many have never seen a vehicle with a standard trans up close but, I think the manuf should realize there are still a few of us out there who will buy them.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I haven't figured out yet why anyone would want a Wrangler with A/C. .

I wish mine had AC. I don't care if the top is off, hot is still hot. There are plenty of times I would like to have the top on and riding in the cool to avoid extreme heat. Plus it sure is miserable to drive in a summer rain with the top on and windows closed and the inside as humid as a jungle. Personally, I can't see not AC if you are buying new.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

they still make jeeps in manual, right? that is a pretty common thing, to see a stick shift wrangler. i think that is better for off roading. you don't mess up your tranny rocking it out of a rut.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

I wish mine had AC. I don't care if the top is off, hot is still hot. There are plenty of times I would like to have the top on and riding in the cool to avoid extreme heat. Plus it sure is miserable to drive in a summer rain with the top on and windows closed and the inside as humid as a jungle. Personally, I can't see not AC if you are buying new.

all good points. I should have said that I am not one to use A/C in the first place. I turn it on in my truck only enough to make sure it still works. LOL cool to see others here have Wranglers.

they still make jeeps in manual, right? that is a pretty common thing, to see a stick shift wrangler. i think that is better for off roading. you don't mess up your tranny rocking it out of a rut.

yes they still make them but like every other vehicle the autos tend to be stocked more on many dealers lots.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

so if automatic's are better for towing, then why are all tractor trailers manuals? Try using a jake brake with an auto...

I think down shifting a stick can save your breaks, and if you rev match, you will not hurt your clutch.
you can even shift without the clutch, just put gentle pressure on the stick, until it comes out of gear, then (when down shifting) give it some gas, and put gentle pressure on the lower gear, till it goes in.

TilliamWe

Banned

so if automatic's are better for towing, then why are all tractor trailers manuals? Try using a jake brake with an auto...

Your first is a valid point. Except ALL tractor trailers are NOT manuals. Wassau trucking company uses all Automatics in their fleet of Flatbeds.

I believe it's Dodge (or is it Ford with their new diesel?) in 2010 that has an exhaust brake standard on the Cummins diesel, and I haven't heard it qualified as being with the manual only. So we are about to find out how things like engine (Jake is a trademark name) brakes work with auto transmissions, very soon.

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

I drive truck and yes there are a few automatic transmissions out there but in my opinion they will never become widespread as a general use trans.But I guess who knows because the idiot engineers that design this stuff are supposed to bright but they can screw up anything good ever made and kinda like a liberal they will just force them on to the public because they think they are smarter than you and just know a auto in your big truck would be best for you because it was their idea and they want to do it for you wether you want it or not.....Bruce

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

how often do you have to replace a clutch on a tractor trailer? I mean those trucks drive for a million miles or so. And since they have ten speeds, you can start out in a low gear, so you don't wear down the clutch. So i bet they don't have to change many clutches.

Imagine how manny transmissions rebuilds you would have to do with an automatic tractor, over the course of a million miles and ten years.

TilliamWe

Banned

how often do you have to replace a clutch on a tractor trailer? I mean those trucks drive for a million miles or so. And since they have ten speeds, you can start out in a low gear, so you don't wear down the clutch. So i bet they don't have to change many clutches.

Imagine how manny transmissions rebuilds you would have to do with an automatic tractor, over the course of a million miles and ten years.

Many have more than 10 speeds, too. Some have less. Clutches do last a long time, unless the drivers abuse them. And it's not hard to "abuse" one.

I agree, I don't think the market for automatics in 80,000lb GVWR vehicles is huge, but it does exist.

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The auto co.s bottom line is greater with the least amount of options, Less they have to deal with, No more vent windows, less interior color options, all headliners in dodge trucks are the same color, No one hardky drives stick anymore, so they say why pay to build a rarely desired tranny