Suzuki GS 750 first bike! - Starter Trouble

Nandy

Commander
Well, I got me a 1982 GS750 a couple of weeks ago. The previous owner showed me how you had to rock it among other things for it to "start". LOL! I knew that is not normal but I can tackle any starter problems. The bike was already over $500 under book and in all reallity, could not find one anywhere that was not 1k over.
Anyway, im ordering the book to work in it but I have some time off tomorrow to work on it. So I rather not wait for the book.
To start this bike you need to be in neutral, press the clutch lever and then press the start button.
What is going on is that most of the times when you press the start button nothing happens. I mean, not a click, not a sound, nothing. The headlight will not dim or nothing. That leads me to believe I am not getting power at all to the solenoid or, the solenoid itself is open. Now I know enough about motorcycles to know that they have a bunch of safety switches (example the neutral transmission and clutch lever) to know that those could be the culprit. Actually, they are more than likely the culprit. So what I am asking is for someone familiar with this bike to give me an idea where those switches are that way I can save taking my "new" motorcycle apart just to find those switches.
Any help will be appreciated.

A few pics...

bike.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike4.jpg

Finally I can buy that shirt that says "If you can read this the B&%$# fell off." :)

dolluper

Captain
Re: Suzuki GS 750 first bike! - Starter Trouble

Make sure the kill switch is not turned off on handlebars..... water buffalo

Last edited:

Nandy

Commander

I can assure you that is done. I actually sit in the bike pressing the start button until it starts. Sometimes it start withing the first 2 or 3 starts sometimes it takes way longer. So no, the kills switch is not the reason.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like the starter button on the handlebars. My Ironhead has had a finicky button like that for years. You have to push it just right to get it work.

If you need some parts, give Dutton's in Rural Retreat, Va. a call. They have a field full of junk Japanese bikes:

Dutton Enterprises
157 Cycle Dr
Rural Retreat, VA 24368-2963
Phone: (276) 686-5683

Attachments

• Jap 3.JPG
    Jap 3.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 0

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Some cycles have a safety interlock on the side stand too.

Jeff
'93 Kawasaki ZR1100

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Beat me to it. My BMW won't start with the side stand down. Or, if as you say the clutch lever must be pulled in, a microswitch somewhere at the hand grip or tranny case.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

My VTX will not start with the side stand down either.
I know on the Hondas like mine the handlebar switch is known to have problems exactly like you describe.

Ride it over one day Nandy and we will look it over...:D

Wanna race?....lol! Don't let Lowkee know..he would smoke both of us on that beast he has.

Nandy

Commander

There are no switches in the stand. Only switches are the start, ignition kill, neutral and clutch....

Garry Im just getting started so I am in no way driving outside of the neighborhood. Plus I dont have a tag in it yet but I will this week and might take the written test. We shall see... Maybe I get to play with it tomorrow.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

There are no switches in the stand. Only switches are the start, ignition kill, neutral and clutch....

Garry Im just getting started so I am in no way driving outside of the neighborhood. Plus I dont have a tag in it yet but I will this week and might take the written test. We shall see... Maybe I get to play with it tomorrow.

Take the safety course offered by the motorcycle dealers. Always wear your gear too.

Be safe and have fun

Jeff

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

First check should be at solenoid,,,see if it is getting power when you push start switch.
If it is, you know the problem is with the starter/solenoid.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Nandy,

Get the book from the DMV and read it a couple times before you go.Should be no problem to pass it.
It does have several trick questions so read up good on it.
Then you can get the permit that is good for 18 months.
That gives you plenty of time to get used to the bike before taking the road test.
Just don't get caught with a passenger on the back with only the permit.

Anytime you want to ride just give me a shout.
We need to get Lowkee and take a day trip sometime...:)

Nandy

Commander

Took the dmv test today and past it so I have now my learning permit valid for 18 month!!!! Whoohoo! I am taking the class but at $170.00 I will make sure I get a bit of practice before I go. I was not able to get the tag for the bike because the line for tha was all the way to the outside of the building... Will try again tomorrow...

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

yeah that bike should not have a stand safety switch, i can't remember any of my bikes needing to be in neutral either. clutch in i remember on some.

i agree with above about the starter switch. otherwise I would start looking over the old wires. wires tend to crack with age. of course the obvious place to start is near the solenoid but could be anywhere within the ignition circuit.

Nandy

Commander

The dmv line was more manageable yesterday. Got all the paperwork done but the motorcycle had to be inspected. We did some errand then I hop in the bike and head to the inspection station that is like 2 miles from my place. Then to the dmv in the car and now I have a tag. :)
I took the side panel and can start it by appliying + to the solenoid. For a couple of days and still now it won't start with the use of the start button. All the canles terminate in that small console in the handlebars. Still trying to figure how to open it. I ordered the book last night. Migth wait until then.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

actually you should be able to open up the grip to get a look at the starter button with just two screws. it is easy to open and get closed again. take a look at the connectors on the switch. might get lucky and just have a loose connection there or broken wire.

good luck with it.

scipper77

Commander

I had an 83 GS750 ES, and I don't remember any safety switches. I skipped some of the posts in this thread (at work) but it sounds like the switch is the culprit. I'd bet you could find a similar bike from a junk yard and replace a few things for cheap.

dolluper

Captain

The mouse living under the gas tank ....finally ate threw the wiring.....good spot to check as all the wiring....all five feet

Nandy

Commander

Sorry guys, been away for a while.
Avenger, did that today and the switch is ok. It reads almost 12v and when the swtich closes it goes to 0v. When the run/kill switch is not on I have no voltage so it seems all ok. Of course, it could still be the cable.

Garry, thanks for the site. I fixed the year on the first post. It is a 1982. It does shows a switch for the stand but it will start with both the kick stand up/down and will fail to start with the kick stand up/down.

Scipper, no luck at the local bike junkyard, but still dont know what it is so not sure I will need then. However, they are very well recommended.

Dolluper, I took the tank off the first time, it all look good but most cables are in a conduit like cable so I still have to check in detail.

Now, I have to confess my sin.... I GOT ME ANOTHER BIKE!!!! LOL!!! 1995 Suzuki GS500... got it for 600 so I could not pass on it. Similar bikes goes for over $1400 and the cheapest one I found of the same vintage was 1k. That darn thing is fast. It does shows it racing nature even with my 240+ pounds... Need to be careful, the GF already thinks im crazy and warn me about that speed bike (i think she wants it) so we shall see. It still had a valid tag when I went to try it so I took it for a ride. No tag on it now so just riding around the hood. I have to admit that it rides a heck lot better than the cruiser... I mean, the response to the throttle... Lord, im in trouble...
Will get back at you guys later...

bandit86

Banned

I had an 83 gs750es, I think the clutch switch was what i replaced. but get a meter or a buddy with one and check for yourself.