Shot shell powder question?

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have not done a lot of reloading since son joined the navy and don't shoot clays as much as we use to but I ran out 540 winchester ball powder year before last. Person I bought from went out business and the only thing I can find local is hodgdon's not only am I looking for new source but what kind. 540 is what I've been buying for years in 3lb cans and I'm not even sure Winchester even sells it anymore except in Bulk if at all:confused:. I'm not up on all the new stuff just want to load some 1oz or 1 1/8oz for 12 and 20 gauge maybe a 16 every now and then. I'm not a reload expert by any means:D. Just loaded what the old guy told me to. All my reloading stuff is MEC progressive if if makes any difference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks BobbyT

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Shot shell powder question?

Hodgdon purchased winchester / IMR powders I believe. If Hodgdon is what you can get locally then I would go to their website and read up on what they have to offer. I have used 700X for over 25 years. Last year, I could still find it but purchased Hodgdon Clays as a possible replacement.

I also load pistol rounds and it appears Clays may work for both. I have old stock of 700X and bullseye so I have not loaded any of the Clays yet.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

So what are you guys paying for powder in your neck of the woods?....I have it good. I live near a powder plant. Employees can order a limited amount of powder every few months. I have a hook up that gets it for me. I ordered 6lbs this week...It costs me 11-12 bucks a pound.:)

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I have been using clays, and it has been working pretty good. I belong to a local gun club, and several of the guys and gals pool together and buy supplies in bulk. Cheaper that way.
Hogdon has some good info at their web site to work up different loads. http://www.hodgdon.com/hodgdon.html

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class

So what are you guys paying for powder in your neck of the woods?....I have it good. I live near a powder plant. Employees can order a limited amount of powder every few months. I have a hook up that gets it for me. I ordered 6lbs this week...It costs me 11-12 bucks a pound.:)

Its been about 5 years since I ordered any powder so I can't remember what I actually paid for 3 lb can of 540. Seems like I paid more for shipping than I did the powder.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

If you haven't bought powder in 5 years, get ready for sticker shock. It has nearly doubled in price. I have never had to order any powder, but also believe the hazmat fee has gone from 15 to 25 bucks....Even without my hook-up, I don't have much trouble finding powder where I live. Even Walmart sells it.

JRJ

Commander

I use Hodgdon Universal Clays for 20ga skeet and clays, Titewad for 12ga clay games and Longshot for hunting loads.
I use Remington hulls as they are more popular than AA's around here and the shotgun forums I'm into. Have fun getting back into loading.

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class

JRJ
Got a lot of Remington and Winchester High Brass hull left over from years of Duck Hunting but a Guy gave me some Fiocchi hulls that close really smooth. That was the last I loaded. Looked on the hodgen site and there is a dealer about 40 miles from me that wil will check out next week. What shotgun forums are you associated with?

JRJ

Commander

JRJ
Got a lot of Remington and Winchester High Brass hull left over from years of Duck Hunting but a Guy gave me some Fiocchi hulls that close really smooth. That was the last I loaded. Looked on the hodgen site and there is a dealer about 40 miles from me that wil will check out next week. What shotgun forums are you associated with?

Shotgunworld.com is a good one, excellent reloading forum, plus forums that cover all the games, gun brands, and on and on. Enjoy.

john from md

Commander

I use universal clays and Unique in 20ga and 28ga. Unique seems to be more economical.

John