Nissan Altima, 97, Tail Lights weatherproofing

Nandy

Commander
The car was leaking water into the trunk via the tail lights. I removed the light housing and that gooey weatherproofing material. Is that black putty like sealant that sticks to everything. I have not been able to find it anywhere. I had taken a sample with me and no body knows the product. For several reasons I'm trying to avoid using silicon but if that is the only thing then bee it cus it's raining to morrow and this has to be done today. Any help with the name and where to find it will be great. I tried most auto parts stores and a few hardware stores to no avail.
The second question is what can I use to remove this gooey sealant? It is in the paint and in the tail light plastic. If I'm using the same material then it is clean enough now but if I'm switching to other sealant then it all has to go (another reason not to switch)
Any help will be appreciated.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Nissan Altima, 97, Tail Lights weatherproofing

try an automobile paint supplier...or go to a local collision repair shop....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would use plumbers putty just add it where you need it ..... I have used it to seal up wires and lights....not to hard to remove too!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Try acoustical sealant. Available at building supply houses in tubes that fit a caulking gun.
If that is too "runny" go to a glazing shop and check their butyl glazing tapes and compounds.

Nandy

Commander

Found it! The guy from the body repair place said the name was butyl. I went to napa first and the guy knew what I needed immediately. However the smaller amount he had was too much for me. With that info I went to autozone and got it. What kills me was that I had been to autozone and advance and no one could help me. They hire anyone now. Both of there stores did not had a mechanic. That really pissed me off a bit. I can understand not everyone being a mechanic but at least give me a 50/50 and make sure you always have at least one mechanic in.
Heck! If I go to eat asian food I want a little asian person cooking, why shouldn't I want a mechanic in a auto part store?
Rant over...

dolluper

Captain

Maybe they should have cows cooking at Mcdonalds LOL's couldn't resist

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Found it! The guy from the body repair place said the name was butyl. I went to napa first and the guy knew what I needed immediately. However the smaller amount he had was too much for me. With that info I went to autozone and got it. What kills me was that I had been to autozone and advance and no one could help me. They hire anyone now. Both of there stores did not had a mechanic. That really pissed me off a bit. I can understand not everyone being a mechanic but at least give me a 50/50 and make sure you always have at least one mechanic in.
Heck! If I go to eat asian food I want a little asian person cooking, why shouldn't I want a mechanic in a auto part store?
Rant over...

I hear ya....
I was in a drug store the other day and they didn't have even one doctor on staff.
Can ya believe that?:eek: