Lieutenant Commander
GF and I went furniture shopping. Built a new house almost 4 yrs. ago
and have yet to "furnish" it, still sitting on the "cheap" furniture from
the old house.

Picked out a oversize Lazy Boy reclining loveseat and a recliner. The
floor model was a "micro-fiber" simulated leather material, $1500.00
for both.We like the look and the color and the material "breaths"
and doesn't have the hot/cold effect of real leather. BUT...., we
started having durability concerns and decided on real leather.

BUT, HOLY SMOKES, when we upgraded to leather in the color we
both liked the price jumped to $3400.00.:eek:
Of course the price is a little negotiable but it's still going to be
$3000 bucks.

I realize this is high quality stuff and it will probably last the rest
of my life, BUT..., is it worth it?

How about the micro-fiber simulated leather, anyone have any
experience with it??? (we have dogs and cats)

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Lazy Boy: Worth The $$$ ???

Ahhh...no ...I have one, got it for a good price and it hasnt held up any better then the cheap nock off recliner we have....but I have two kids..two dogs..one is a full blooded husky about 80lbs and one cat...so with that combo nothing has a chance in my house for like another 8 years atleast cause my kids are only 4 and 2.:D

its hit and miss it all depoends on how hard your family is on furniture...

gss036

Commander

I don't think leather is a good idea if you have dogs and cats. Especially cats, unless you have them declawed.
My daughter has 4 dogs and they try hard to keep them off the furniture, but you know how that goes when you have 2 teenage boys to go along with the dogs.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

We've had good luck with leather furniture and really like its comfort and feel. We thought about having the cats declawed but didn't do that. Instead, we clip their claws every month or so. They've done just a little damage to the leather, but I've also seen cats destroy cloth furniture. Overall, the leather is very durable.

Watch out for cheap leather furniture. The leather will be hard and stiff. Good quality leather furniture also will have all the panels made of leather. Cheaper stuff uses matching vinyl on the sides, backs, etc. You can feel the difference by touching the panels; the real leather feels warm while the vinyl feels cooler.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

All leather furniture ain't created equal. Good leather will last decades...My great uncle died a couple of years ago. He had a emerald green couch that he sat on every day for 50 years. It still great when his family sold off his crap......Cheap leather will wrinkle badly, crack, and wear pretty quickly.

Beware of the latest catch phrase in the furniture biz..."bonded leather". It is to leather what chipboard is to plywood...It is leather scrap ground into near dust, the pressed and glued into a sheet, then died. It doesn't hold up well.

Is Lazy Boy better than a no name brand when it comes to recliners? I'd bet so. My parents have 30 year old lazy both they are still using daily. I just got rid of a 12 year old Lazy Boy that I flopped around in everyday. Neither have broken or wobbly frames and both still have good working foot rests that will support your legs...There's nothing worse than a cheapo recliner that won't hold the weight of your legs.

Splat

Lieutenant

Check out recliners from Lane. I have 2 in my house. One leather and the other a microfiber. They have held up extremely well for the last several years. I cant remember the price on them, but I do remember they were VERy affordable compared to lazyboys. And I've owne4d lazy boys for years.

Very affordable, and oh so comfortable......

Bill

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have two lazy boy recliners, one of the oversized leather models and a smaller cloth one, both are good units.

Leather is the material of choice if you have pets, everything else we have is leather except for the one LB recliner and leather the only way to go. While cats can scratch it, ours haven't wanted too, not like on the cloth furniture at all and dogs have no affect on it, claws or hair.

I don't know where people get the idea that leather is uncomfortable, sticky, clammy, or hot and cold, its very comfortable year round and I'd buy it again in a minute.

There was no way I was going to pay the 1,300 for a recliner so I just checked on CL everyday, it took a few weeks but I found the exact model and color I wanted for $200.00 in perfect condition. This was from a couple that just got married (late 30s) and were combining two house holds worth of furniture, all of the unneeded furniture was in a storage unit. As I was loading the chair he commented that there was only one more piece of furniture left and he didn't want to pay for the unit another month and asked if I would be interested in it. It was the cloth recliner and it was also in perfect condition, both looked like they were new, he said If I wanted it he would let it go for $20.00.

Just keep checking CL and you?ll find what you want.

puddle jumper

Captain

I think it comes down to you get what you pay for. We have a micro fiber couch and love seat and they have held up very well but we have only had them for 2 years. We do have a dog and a cat with a 12 year old and all get to use the couches.

What I liker about leather is it does not go out a stile as fast as cloth furniture and is easier to clean.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I think it comes down to you get what you pay for. We have a micro fiber couch and love seat and they have held up very well but we have only had them for 2 years. We do have a dog and a cat with a 12 year old and all get to use the couches.

What I liker about leather is it does not go out a stile as fast as cloth furniture and is easier to clean.

WHAT, cats around leather furniture, your nuts:D

WizeOne

Commander

I have had two lazyboy recliners for going on 15 years. They are cloth but they both look as good as new. I got a papa bear size for me and and a baby bear size for Mrs WO. They get used nightly and never had any structural problems. Can't speak for leather. Personally I wouldn't have it. Nothing like cloth for warmth and comfort. I don't even like leather in my vehicles.

puddle jumper

Captain

WHAT, cats around leather furniture, your nuts:D

My cat is good when it come to the furniture. Its the door trim when she wants out that gets the scratching. It drives me nuts and she has got in crap more than once.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,

I can't help you with the leather vs. micro-fiber question; although I do agree with WizeOne when he says that leather is cold and un-comfortable when compared to cloth.

But as for LazyBoy vs other recliners; there's no comparison IMHO. In a LazyBoy; when you recline you have a myriad of choices in angles; you can get your feet up while reclining and still be looking forward as opposed to upward. In a LazyBoy you will be looking toward the TV; in others you will be looking up at the ceiling when reclined.

I think there will always be a LazyBoy in my house....

As for pricing, LazyBoy dealers are tightly controlled when it comes to discounting. They are in the business to make money. LazyBoy and their dealers understand that and will not tolerate a dealer who gives away the store. LazyBoy will cut off a dealer who repeatedly violates pricing agreements.

They have certain promotional pieces that they can give away if they want; but the current models have to be sold close to retail.

Thanks for reading,

Chuck

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks everyone who took the time to give their input.

I am an age old believer in the theory that you get what
pay for.

That said, it's not so much the cost, just the "sticker shock"
of the style and color that we really liked and thought would
fit are house. These two "little" piece's of furniture are going
to cost $4500.00. We still need a coffee table/end tables, etc.
We could comprimise and set our sights lower on a color and
style that is not our first choice and cut the cost in half.

I guess the problem for me is I'm not materialistic, I can afford
it but their's people who are going to go to bed hungry tonight
and I'm thinking about spending thousands of dollars on furniture.
:redface::redface::redface:

Or maybe we should buy the cheap stuff and donate the $$$
we saved to Haiti.:confused:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Thanks everyone who took the time to give their input.

I am an age old believer in the theory that you get what
pay for.

That said, it's not so much the cost, just the "sticker shock"
of the style and color that we really liked and thought would
fit are house. These two "little" piece's of furniture are going
to cost $4500.00. We still need a coffee table/end tables, etc.
We could comprimise and set our sights lower on a color and
style that is not our first choice and cut the cost in half.

I guess the problem for me is I'm not materialistic, I can afford
it but their's people who are going to go to bed hungry tonight
and I'm thinking about spending thousands of dollars on furniture.
:redface::redface::redface:

Or maybe we should buy the cheap stuff and donate the $$$
we saved to Haiti.:confused:

I did a total remodel of the house, I gutted it to the studs then rebuilt everything. Sales, CL and rebates were used to save huge amounts of money, this way I could buy top of the line products and it still came in well under budget.

When it came time to furnish it almost everything came from CL, average cost was 25 to 30% of retail for items that looked brand new. So see, you can still buy exactly what you want and still feel good about a donation to a good cause.