LP lines on house Freezing

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Re: LP lines on house Freezing

Did you replace the regulator after the tanks were changed?
If not, I wonder why this suddenly happened now, after all this time?

When I change over to my own and kicked the gas company to the curb I had to install both the tanks and the regulator (they insisted they owned the regulator also).
I redid the setup this morning making sure the vents were facing down and for now covered over it with plastic to keep water off it, guess well see if that cures the problem

Hi Bond-o, that's kinda what I used to do with my air lines on my tractors, I wish I could get some methanol injected into the tanks, but I get them filled at the local hardware store. Maybe when the next one empties out I will rig something up a connection to my vacuum pump to evacuate out the tank myself. Bring it down like an A/C system to 500 micron and boil out any moisture in there , then have it suck up a few cc's of methanol before I have it charged.

j_martin

Admiral

:confused:
A check with any gas utility and/or competent gas fitter/contractor will prove that statement baseless.
As with any gas-related installation, it is critical to use the right equipment and the correct procedure, but this is a routine and safe design element in many service installations.

On the other hand, there should be no reason that heat-tracing these lines should be suddenly required, especially in the temperatures the OP reported.

Many larger systems have evaporators on them, often propane fired. However they are special equipment designed for the service. Amateur heat-taping propane lines, especially near a propane tank where a pressure relief valve could open, or just leak, is a prescription for fire. That is what was being suggested.

j_martin

Admiral

When I change over to my own and kicked the gas company to the curb I had to install both the tanks and the regulator (they insisted they owned the regulator also).
I redid the setup this morning making sure the vents were facing down and for now covered over it with plastic to keep water off it, guess well see if that cures the problem

Hi Bond-o, that's kinda what I used to do with my air lines on my tractors, I wish I could get some methanol injected into the tanks, but I get them filled at the local hardware store. Maybe when the next one empties out I will rig something up a connection to my vacuum pump to evacuate out the tank myself. Bring it down like an A/C system to 500 micron and boil out any moisture in there , then have it suck up a few cc's of methanol before I have it charged.

Vacuum purging the tank will get the water out fer sure. Just be sure you don't allow any air into the tank, and when they refill it they are tightly connected up before they crack the valve, or they'll have trouble filling it and have to purge some gas to atmosphere to get it done.

Where I work we build propane delivery trucks. They put a gallon or so of methanol into each one before it goes down the road.

Actually, a little water in a propane tank that is having the product removed as gas should not hurt anything. It should just lay in the bottom harmlessly.

My bet is on ice in the regulator vent. Happens all the time here in the tundra.

If you have gotten a bit of water in the delivery line, it can be removed by disconnecting both ends and blasting a little compressed air though it. Then put a cc or so of methanol, or isoproponal (isoheat gas drier) right in the line before you hook it back up.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey John,
I'm thinking you & dwco5051 are right with the vent on the regulator. I knew it had to be a freeze problem of some sort because when I hit it with the hair drier it would work for a day then freeze up again. Today was the first time I tried it with only heating the reg. and it did the trick. This has taught me a very valuable lesson, I have had problems in the past with tanks not purged properly (BBQ) and even though it does not seem to be the case in this instance, I am going to pick up another line with the LP connector on it and set it up on an old set of A/C manifold gauges. From now on I will evacuate the tanks before bringing them to get re-filled and make sure they hook up before and purge their line before cracking the valve on the tank.

Funny thing is I never gave it much thought before this week but its like when I charge a new A/C system, 1st nitrogen, then Vac, then nitrogen, then vac down to 500 microns to make sure I get all the non-condensables out. I never realized this is no different .

I can't thank everyone enough for their input, and helping me solve this problem. You guys saved my life with wifey who was really getting upset with me :eek:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Bill, hope every thing works out for you, dont want to have christmas dinner ruined now due to flame out :eek:
and just a thought about the regulator, I think your suppose to use the yellow teflon tape when screwing in any npt threaded fittings, tapered gas fittings you dont. Just double check
best of the season
rob

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks Rob,
Yep if Christmas dinner gets ruined I'd be in the dog house for sure, especially seeing that I was away for a week on my hunting vacation :D when the problem started :eek: .

No worries on the fittings, believe it or not I'm actually a fitter and an HVAC guy,no picking on me now lol, sometimes I too can't see the forest for the trees.......
On small gas piping I use Teflon + well the only way I can describe it is , do you remember Indian head gasket shellac, I can never remember the brand r name for the pipe dope version of it its in a teal colored can.
On the bigger piping 2" or better I use lampwick + the Indian head gasket shellac I never use anything on a flair fittings, I let them do their jobs.
Wifey just came down stairs time for me to watch the boob tube with her before I get in trouble :eek:

Have a Merry Merry and a Happy Happy

Billy